[4x4 Support]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Greetings to all,

I've recently joined the Dodge family, buying myself a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, a few weeks ago. I bought it with full disclosure that there was issues with the 4-Wheel drive, but with all else the truck offered, I decided to buy it. Recently, with winter being right around the corner, I decided to test it to see what was going on. Note: The previous owner did mention something about the front axle or something. Anyway, I threw it into 4 and the light came on. I lightly pressed the gas and the truck moved, but it sure didn't want to. (Few feet at least) There was this clunking/grinding noise. Wheels would screech, didn't want to turn, etc. Okay, obviously there is an issue, so I tried to put it back into 2...and it didn't want to. Kept trying to engage/disengage over and over. Finally, I just threw it into reverse and all was fine. At the end of it all, as soon as I started driving, there is a new light tick noise under the truck. So, I come here. For the most part I know my ways around a vehicle, but I've never had a problem with my old '94 Jeep Cherokee's 4x4, so I have no experience dealing with such systems. If something has any idea of what's going on and can point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated!

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Did you do this on pavement or dirt? Have you looked at all your tires to make sure they are all the same size?

I really dont know what it could be, but different size tires could cause that, and testing 4x4 with known issues should always be done on loose ground if avalible to minimize the potential for damage.

OP
OP
H

Handley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
I did this on pavement, never considered testing everything on loose ground. I have to go up and down a dirt road all the time, so that wouldn't be an issue. As far as the tire go, at first glance they all appear to be the same size, but I wouldn't know without actually getting the size.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
It could be a number of things, take a look with your wheels turned at full lock or under the truck at the axle shaft where it connects to the hub, make sure that is not broken.

Also check your vacuum actuator housing, remove it and inspect inside a piece of the lock fork may be broken or damaged.

May be worth taking the differential cover off inspecting and if all looks fine filling with new fluid.

The good thing is your rolling with a dana 44 and you can find those at the parts yard fairly often with usually a 30+ day warranty for under $200. If you don't like the salvage yard option and it needs to be rebuilt you can always have it done by a shop.

TDLR Visual inspection, then differential inspection, replace worn parts if needed

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Try it on loose ground then if it's still an issue, pop the front cover and disonnect cover and see if any teeth are broken in the pumpkin and if there's any damage behind the disconnect cover