01 Laramie 46re..shift rod knock TSB 21-12-00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Im new here, so much to learn, just got this truck, first ram for me... searched for info on this topic but could find none. Is anyone familiar with this issue (Tapping/Knocking Sound During Idle)? This situation is happening on my truck while idling in Park. I can pull on the shift lever as to start to put it in gear and the noise will stop. The TSB21-12-00 states that the fix is replacing the Gearshift Control Rod/Torque Shaft, bushings, etc assembly with revised parts. I find only one such product available on ebay for $150, can find nothing else anywhere. I have looked at this section on my vehicle and cant understand where the tapping sound is coming from, does it come from inside the tranny?...any ideas?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Im new here, so much to learn, just got this truck, first ram for me... searched for info on this topic but could find none. Is anyone familiar with this issue (Tapping/Knocking Sound During Idle)? This situation is happening on my truck while idling in Park. I can pull on the shift lever as to start to put it in gear and the noise will stop. The TSB21-12-00 states that the fix is replacing the Gearshift Control Rod/Torque Shaft, bushings, etc assembly with revised parts. I find only one such product available on ebay for $150, can find nothing else anywhere. I have looked at this section on my vehicle and cant understand where the tapping sound is coming from, does it come from inside the tranny?...any ideas?

The easiest way to tell is to start it up and wait until it starts making the sound. Then crawl underneath AFTER chocking the wheels to make sure the truck doesn't move unexpectedly. You'll see the linkage for the gearshift, it comes off the passenger side of the transmission. While its making that noise, look around to see if you can tell where its coming from, you can also place your hand on various parts of the shift linkage. Sometimes it can be as simple as one of the rubber grommets rotting away and two metal parts are knocking together.

If its not coming from the gearshift linkage, take a video. Do you burn much oil?

OP
OP
T

Tnman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum
doesnt burn oil...I got under the truck and tried to find exactly where the noise is coming from but couldnt tell...I did play around with the linkage some and could find no play but I will do as you suggest and chock the wheels next time so I can feel more comfortable about moving that linkage around with more force. Best I can tell, this may have been a covered under warranty situation back in the day, I really cant find much info on it. It is somewhat strange that there would be such a lack of available parts for it...all sites that I could find say the parts for this fix are discontinued and as I posted above, I have found only one for sale and that is on ebay. Thanks for your help.