12 valve cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Hey y'all,

So life's here, it's my last year of high school and I'm movin down to South Carolina in January. Because it'll cost more than my truck is worth, I've gotta sell my 99 ram 1500 and buy a different truck. I guess my question for you guys is what is your opinion on what I can expect to pay for a well treated 12 valve cummins. I have dreamed about having one since I first started goin through my gasser and learning everything about these 2nd gens. By the end of winter here I'm expecting to have around 5k put away but I can probably kiss at least 500 bucks good bye for my license, registration, and the tax on it. I don't know much about loans but my parents say I may be able to get one for 1-2k if it's necessary. Just thought I'd post this a little early because I've been doing research but can't find much on this subject.

Thanks guys and have a nice day!

OP
OP
M

MikeyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Sorry for being unspecific, for instance maybe a 1995 dodge ram 2500 extended cab 2wd. I've been watching craigslist for the area but the trucks showin up are beaten pretty well. I don't know how a dually would be for a daily driver but they're showin up everywhere. They look pretty mean haha.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Search your local Craigslist. Where I'm at, that junk goes for gold. 1st gens with nearly 200k, minimal rust but still some rust, no clear coat, faded paint, non-intercooled still get posted for 6500. 2nd gens you'll see anywhere from 3-18000 depending on condition of the vehicle and the owners brain

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Duallys can be cool and are easy to convert to single wheel. 2wd will help lower price as well. Look for an old farmers truck that was just used as a tow rig and not beaten on by some kid. Might find a little bit of rust but you're more likely to have a decent maintenance history and an engine and trans in good condition

OP
OP
M

MikeyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Hey thanks for the reply! I didn't know duallys were easy to convert! I will definitely look into them a little more there are some nicer ones up on it. My uncle says there's a lot of junk yards around where I'm goin so I'll definitely be checkin them out. Have a good one :)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yep. Find a standard set of wheels and tires, pull the rear wheels off and the 2" spacer as well. Remove front wheels, install the 2" spacers from the rear, install standard. Remove fiberglass fender extensions, zip tie wiring up under the bed, clean up bed sides

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
If you are willing to travel I would search your surrounding cities CL as well. Here in San Antonio Tx, Austin Tx Houston Tx and Dallas Tx. You can find one for under $5000 any day of the week. Mileage is a major factor. Most of these diesel will run many many miles with minimal issues. For Ex I was looking at one a while back for $2000 that had 400,000 miles 2wd ex cab.

Personally for me I would try to find one with under 200k if you want to keep it for longer than your college life, if not I'd look for one that runs good that I know I'll be able to sell for what I paid for it when I'm done.

If it is smoking in any way, walk away. Injectors are expensive by themselves add in the labor and your talking a couple thousand.

OP
OP
M

MikeyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
I've got it open up to 200 miles out of my area and it wouldn't let me do any more haha. I'll have to go check out a different area to see what's out there. A couple thousand for injectors!? Yeesh! I had seen too to check for the 53 block cracks, the dowel pin, and to turn the oil cap upside down on its hole to check for blowby?

Thanks, Mikey

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
KDP or killer dowel pin is a pin behind the timing cover that falls out sometimes and can either get shot out through the front cover, stuck in the chain, or if you're lucky fall to the bottom of the oil pan and stay there. Fairly easy fix that's not too spendy.

53 block is the 98+ 24v engines. Don't need to worry.

Injectors aren't as bad as many would think. Cummins being a straight 6 lends to plenty of room in the engine bay and only bank of valve cover/s that needs to come off to change them and it's right up on top in the open. Duramax and Powerstrokes being V8s the covers are much much harder to get to. Those trucks the injectors and labor are both expensive. Cummins the injectors are fairly cheap and can be changed in a few hours. If you're mechanically inclined and a wrencher it's not bad.

OP
OP
M

MikeyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Cool I'll have to check on that too if I find one! Lol straight 6, takes chevy and dmax 8 cylinders but cummins can do it better with 6 train pistons :p

Thanks again, Mikey