1500, 2wd, steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Is there a difference between a 2wd and 4wd steering shaft?

(the answer, still not sure- but I installed dorman 425-264 on a 2wd truck with standard suspension with no issues)

The only replacement I can find is a dorman that specifically says 4wd only with a few 3500 rwd exceptions.

Mine seems to have major slop in the lower u joint before the steering box. I have almost 5 inches of play in the steering wheel due to this.

Was going to hunt yards first, but if 4wd is different Im not sure I will find many 2wd units in the yards...

B

20170208_204232_zps1f1lnvgl.jpg

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Everything is the same from the wheel to the pitman arm. After that they are different, but if you're talking about the shaft that connects the wheel to the steering box, they should be the same.

OP
OP
B

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I went ahead and ordered it from rock auto, well see how it compares.

Dorman replied

"The 425-264 is only for 4wd vehicles. We currently do not make a shaft for the 2wd models. Thank you for your inquiry.

Jarrad Francis

Dorman Products

Asst Product Manager/ Technical"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
B

Blain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
To wrap this up....

My shaft showed up yesterday from rock auto... 2 day shipping and 5% code was $72. (around town it is $140)

The only difference I can spot is the dorman unit is thinner at the couplings, but adds a rag joint on the steering wheel side.

To remove mine was a 13mm bolt on each end- remove and save for use on new unit.

I used a prybar to get mine loose, I then collapsed it and pulled out of the engine bay.

They are designed as a telescope so I am unsure why it is 4wd only.

I put the dorman part on my 2wd truck and it worked perfect. There is a flat spot on each spline to line it up correctly. I locked my steering before starting as to not lose my alignment on the clock spring.

20170208_190939_zpswvzhajus.jpg

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thanks for posting the results!
Glad to hear everything went together without much hassle.