1994 Ram Steering Problems! PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hey y'all, I'm new here so bare with me. I'm the proud owner of a lifted 1994 dodge ram 1/2 ton, 4x4 with the ole trusty 318. It's been great to me, until lately.

In December my drivers side hub assembly exploded with no warning causing me to have to replace the caliper, abs ring, hub (duh), ball joints, & even the spindle. (I know. Wtf)

Because of that, & I had the money at the time I decided to replace both side hub assemblies, I figured precision would do the job... Man was I wrong. Drivers side blew 3 more times, so I replaced it with a rusty's off road version. I had one for the passenger side too, but it had been to cold to mess with it. I was driving home yesterday, no warnings, nothing & boom. A 3 week old hub assembly exploded.

Had her towed home and started working on her, everything came off and went together smoothly, everything torqued right and perfect...or so I thought. I go to take her out on a test drive and she won't turn left. Then I back her back in the drive way, & then she won't turn right. No visible culprits so I got back in it then it turns lock to lock....what? So I go to try to take her out again and she won't turn at all. So I back back up, put her on jack stands and she will go lock to lock easily. No resistance or anything. Pitman arms, tie rods, drag links, all look good and have been replaced recently. U joints in axels have no play. Ball joints are good. So I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated. I want my baby back on the road!

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
No thoughts? I need help y'all!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Only thing I can think of is possibly the t-case being partially engaged, putting more drag on that side of the axle as the CAD isn't locked.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I will check into that. Everybody I've asked is leaning towards the steering box having a cracked gear or something in it. I hope it is as simple as the T case because when I had it on jack stands both front wheels were turning when I turned the passenger side. I thought they turned independently until locked in?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wheels turning as in rotating?
They're supposed to not turn if they aren't locked in. If they're locked in and your t-case is in 2Hi you have a problem with your CAD housing on your diff. That can DEFINITELY screw some stuff up for you.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Yes. T-case is in 2Hi & I rotated passenger wheel to see if there was any drag and the drivers wheel rotated too. What is CAD? Kind of new too all this 4x4 stuff. Lol. Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Is that the Center Axel Disconnect? How can I trouble shoot and what might be required to fix it?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, that's not good.

CAD is Center Axle Disconnect. It connects the two axles together in the diff to give you 4x4. The passenger side axle is a two-piece axle if I remember correctly, and when the CAD is disengaged, that wheel doesn't get power, but the driver's side turns the diff constantly. So, judging by what you just told me, your CAD actuator is locked, meaning the passenger side axle is constantly in motion, thereby causing more drag on the axle and hub components.

Now, am I saying that's your issue? No, but checking that and/or removing the front drive shaft is DEFINITELY a start.

*edit*
Bah! You ninja-posted me! ;)

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
There has been a squeal from up there. I figured it's the bearing in the for the CAD. So if I take the front driveshaft out (say that's the problem) would it steer like it's supposed too?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on if that removes enough drag. If you remove the CAD housing, you should see a collar in there that moves back and forth to disengage the axles. I forget which way it needs to move, but you can move it manually.
For all we know, the PO disabled the CAD by flipping the collar fork on the CAD housing.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Where is the cad housing? I thought it was just the bulge on the axel housing and the only way to get to it was the differential inspection cover.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The CAD is on the passenger backside of the axle housing.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Is that where the vacuum actuator and what not mounts too?

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So the 4 bolts there will expose the CAD? I will look at the books I have to get an idea on how it should look. I appreciate it man!!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That little box IS the CAD from what I understand.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Reading up, it seems like I've been having this problem for a while.. Because it says if the sleeve never goes over the 2 shafts the 4x4 light won't turn on and mine doesn't turn on. I replaced the bulb too but it just never came on. 4x4 worked when I needed it too, but have only owned the truck for a few months and the PO was stupid for lack of a better term! Lol. I'll see what I can do... May as well replace the bearing while I'm in there too, huh?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I say pull it off and see what's going on and go from there. lol

I'm leaning toward someone having previously disabled the CAD.

OP
OP
B

BigGreen94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Update: took cover off. PO took off shift fork. There was no fork in there which could be a potential problem? Getting one tomorrow and we will see what's up then!