1996 Transmission sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I have purchased a dodge ram 1500 pickup. Very clean and the interior is great. My issue is changing to third.
This is a 318 2X4 with a 46RE transmission. I have changed the fluuid and filter. Someone suggested I change a sensor. I see that there are several sensors listed. I would replace these, but I need help. I see the overdrive sensor and the one they spoke of is a TCC pressure sensor and solenoid.
What other ones should I replace. I see the overdrive sensor and the govenor pressure sensor.
Where is the TCC sensor located. The truck doesn't shift into third unless I let off the gas and let the rpm's drop
Thank you for helping me. Am I wasting my time replacing these, or is this a viable repair.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Governor pressure sensor and solenoid, tcc/od solenoids are 1 piece, band adjustment with that fluid and filter change

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sorta curious that this has a 46RE trans in it. My '96 1500 - 5.9 - 2wd has the 46RH trans, which has the mechanical governor, tubes, etc. instead of the electric governor and transducer. Mine started doing the same thing - normal 1-2 shift, then holding onto 2nd until +/- 3000RPM, then normal 3-4 and lock-up. Sea-foam trans additive helped it, but didn't fix it. Truck had a shift kit put into it at 12k miles, and has 170k on it now. If yours does actually have a 46RE in it (and you haven't already fixed it) they make both a better transducer/governor solenoid direct fit kit, and a retro kit that adapts an Allison governor solenoid.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Apparently not. Bought new by friend Oct 95, title and VIN is a 96. I know the history of the truck since day one - trans has never been out. With governor tubes and no governor/transducer it's definitely a 46RH. My brother in laws early 96 2500 5.9 4x4 also had a 46RH in it. Probably a typical Mopar year change-over issue. I had a late 95 V6 Dakota with a 42RE in it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Trucks built in summer of 95 could be labeled a 96 model year. Nothing built january 1 of 1996 or later will have a 46rh. 96 was a weird year in general because they was when they moved to obd2 as well. Another way to track such things is whether it had egr or not as well