1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Bigred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey. I'm new to these posting, it's nice to join the family, I just have a quick maybe easy replys for some of you guys on here

But anyways I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 2WD truck. And the past couple days my wife noticed a squeal sound coming from the passager side of my truck, and my first thought was my Wheel Bearing because I had one go out on me before on my 1996 Dodge Ram 2WD truck. So I toke the front wheels off and checks the rotors and made sure they were the right tightest and didn't have any play in them. Ah tho when my tire is on and I am holding my wheel at 12 and 6 I have a little play, I believe that is because my ball joints are going bad. This sound is driving me nuts and it's pretty scary because I had a Wheel Bearing go out on me when I was on the freeway! Not fun! I have replaced all 4 shocks and sway bar bushings and sway bar links and inner and outer tie rods. It seem to be when I replaced my sway bar links the sound had accorded and I'm not sure if that is what is making the sound. I pulled and pushed on them but not sound coming from them, no sound coming from when I am spinning the wheel, the Wheel Bearing sound normal to me. No weird sound. I'm complete lost, anything will help. Thank you guys.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just the type of sound speaks a ton. Is it constant with speed, change pitch or frequency? Does it seem to sound like a seesaw? Are you sure its coming from the front? Do the pads and rotors look glazed?

OP
OP

98Bigred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I'm %100 sure that it is coming from the front of my truck. And it's a squeak that will be Constant and then go alway for a min or two then come back. It doesn't get louder with speed. It's always the same loadnest. And my brakes pads don't look glazed at all. I can not understand what's going on. My bad ball joints would make that sound would it?

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
No its not your balljoints unless its just happening when you turn. Dry balljoints do that. Jack up the tire in question. Put a pry bar (piece of wood) metal bar etc and lift see if the tire has play. If it has play up and down you have bad balljoints. Then grab the tire at the sides jiggle it back and fourth. If you have play that way you have bad tie rods. But if your noise is happening while driving in a strait line its most likely wheel bearings or something on the brake rotor. The brake pad has little tabs on the sides I always snap off because they can get bent in and make a very annoying sound. There suppose to warn you when the pad gets low. But most of the time it ruins rotors. Look on the rotor and look for scratches and low spots it should be even.
I almost forgot have someone look under while your checking the balljoints because a bad hub/bearing can also have play.
Other than that remove that brake caliper and make sure the pins or caliper are not sticking. May just need to grease it.

OP
OP

98Bigred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you toomanymopar I will have to try that. I'll kept you all updated. I'll be looking st my truck again today when I get home from work.

OP
OP

98Bigred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I might of firgure it out. My tie rod sleeve on my passager side was rubbing on my sway bar, so i adjusted the little tighten things to kept it from hitting my sway bar. I move the sleeve just not even a quarter turn. I think I put it back where it was! I don't want a aliegment issuse. When I get the chance to drive my truck, we'll see if the sound went alway. I'll kept this post updated.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
A half turn changes the toe on these by about 0.20 degrees. A quarter turn won't put it out if its in the middle to begin with. As long as your tires weren't wearing abnormally over the last 8K miles, you should be fine with just a quarter turn.

For future reference, the little clamps rotate independently of the adjustment sleeve.

OP
OP

98Bigred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I know the clamps do, but I had to un-squeeze them to turn the clamps and I turn my sleeve but it did not make it go out of alignment. But the sound did not go alway :/ I think it got worst. My last guess is my Wheel Bearing :(