1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Hey all, my name is Brandon, and I'm pretty new to this board. Anywho, so my grandfather passed away last year, and left me his '98 Dodge Ram. Now, I've done a few visual things to it, and that's about it. I'm only 15, so I don't have a ton of cash, but what are some things that I could do and not break the bank? I'm currently rounding up some R/T emblems off of eBay, and I'm gonna put one on the grille, and one of the lower part of the tailgate near the passenger side tail-light. Also looking into swapping out all the emblems for 4th-gen emblems (they just look better), but I don't know how to get them off, of get that huge unsightly "Dodge" decal off of the tailgate. I also want to get a Accu-form dash cap to take care of the terrible cracks in my dash, and I'm looking for some better petals and good quality seat covers. I want to give this truck the appearance of a muscle truck, even though it has only a V6. I've looked into putting some LED footwell lighting in, but I don't know what would be a good place to tie into power. The truck runs great, every now and then after riding for a good hour or so, I can pull up to a red-light or have to stop really quick, and she'll choke out and die, but she will fire right back up. Only got 72,348 miles on her. So what do you guys think I could do without breaking my bank?

P.S, if you notice closely on the hood pic, these spots have appeared. I'm guessing it's just the clear coat chipping off, but I'm not sure. Any idea on how to fix?

Attachments

• 20150725_210402496_iOS.jpg
    20150725_210402496_iOS.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20150725_210453998_iOS.jpg
    20150725_210453998_iOS.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20150725_210422079_iOS.jpg
    20150725_210422079_iOS.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20150725_210434675_iOS.jpg
    20150725_210434675_iOS.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20150725_210619634_iOS.jpg
    20150725_210619634_iOS.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 108

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
U get the emblems off by getting one side started with a razor blade and then pulling it off, there only glued on, same with the dodge sticker. Then use like mineral spirits to get the glue off, acetone will be faster but is risky on paint unless uve done it before, pedals I'm not sure nor the lighting. But the spots on the hood is the clear starting to crack and chip. Only way to fix it is it repaint it but if you can't do that just keep it under shade and try to keep wax on it so it doesn't get worse any faster then it has to. Truck looks good, what kinda v6?

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
U get the emblems off by getting one side started with a razor blade and then pulling it off, there only glued on, same with the dodge sticker. Then use like mineral spirits to get the glue off, acetone will be faster but is risky on paint unless uve done it before, pedals I'm not sure nor the lighting. But the spots on the hood is the clear starting to crack and chip. Only way to fix it is it repaint it but if you can't do that just keep it under shade and try to keep wax on it so it doesn't get worse any faster then it has to. Truck looks good, what kinda v6?

Thanks for the response on the emblems, I'll look into it. I have a basic idea on the lighting, if I can pull the bezel off the dash and get access to the headlight switch, I can tie into power there (I want the footwell lighting to be on with the headlights). As far as the clear coat goes, painting isn't really an option, but waxing regularly is. What's a good brand of wax to use? I was looking at this: Meguiar's Ultimate Results Bundle - Walmart.com Also, any good tips for a good wax job without burning through the paint? Personally, to my knowledge, this truck hasn't been waxed but maybe five times in it's life. My grandfather never was one of appearance, as long as it ran and got him from point A to point B. I would like to clean the old plastic floor, not really sure how to go about that, just to getting it looking new again and not all filthy. There hasn't been any floormats in this ole' Ram at least in the past 12 years, I bought the pair you see now from Wal-Mart. I'm OCD about things, if it doesn't look clean and neat it bugs me until I fix it. And to answer your question, the engine is just the base 3.9L (maybe????) V6. It runs great, used to be sluggish when I got it, but I took it to a shop my dad uses all the time, and dropped around $300 into cleaning it out and tuning it, and now it runs great. I love the exhaust, it really sounds like a V8. My dad says it's stock exhaust, but I don't think stock exhaust would sound like that.

Thanks,
Brandon

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
When paint starts to go like that waxing is the only alternative, and it doesn't really matter what kind of wax, maguires is a good wax. Make sure you get wax and not compound. Lol the compound is used for a buffer and is what can burn through the paint. Try just hand waxing it with microfiber towels first one to put it on and one to take it off. That is what protects the paint. If you want it more shiny you can go after the compound and be careful with a buffer. After that you will have to wax to. The wax is the sealer and protectant

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
When paint starts to go like that waxing is the only alternative, and it doesn't really matter what kind of wax, maguires is a good wax. Make sure you get wax and not compound. Lol the compound is used for a buffer and is what can burn through the paint. Try just hand waxing it with microfiber towels first one to put it on and one to take it off. That is what protects the paint. If you want it more shiny you can go after the compound and be careful with a buffer. After that you will have to wax to. The wax is the sealer and protectant

Ahh ok, thanks for that information. I think that kit comes only with a bottle of liquid wax, I may be wrong. I was looking at some headlight bulbs earlier, gosh that's a league all it's own. I want the brighter "white" light, kinda like what you see from a cool white LED, but I'm lost as to what will fit, what is what, what just drops in and what needs rewiring, etc. If you can't tell by now, I'm kind of a newbie to this whole "customizing" thing. :roflsquared:

Thanks,
Brandon

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Lol I'm not sure about the Bulls either dodgedude out HIDs or something into his and they are bright white maybe he will post on here

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Good appearance upgrade is headlights. New stock or aftermarket housings with superbrightleds.com LED retrofit is great. Just no halos for those they don't work well.

Also regarding the foot area lighting, lledglow.com had a great kit for $30-$40 depending on what one you pick. Several solid color kits or a 7 color. Good quality and what i use. Users an add a fuse to tie into the radio. I have the green kit. If you look through the diy section you should find it

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Lol I'm not sure about the Bulls either dodgedude out HIDs or something into his and they are bright white maybe he will post on here

^^^SBL LED kit. Same ones myself, BBartow, and 98hemi have. Someone else might too i can't remember

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Good appearance upgrade is headlights. New stock or aftermarket housings with superbrightleds.com LED retrofit is great. Just no halos for those they don't work well.

Also regarding the foot area lighting, lledglow.com had a great kit for $30-$40 depending on what one you pick. Several solid color kits or a 7 color. Good quality and what i use. Users an add a fuse to tie into the radio. I have the green kit. If you look through the diy section you should find it

Thanks for that information, I'll look into that retrofit kit, aswell as some stock housings. For the foot area lighting, do I have to tie into the radio, or could I splice into the headlights? Also, do I have to upgrade my fuse to a higher amperage? It's not an issue if I have too, just would like to know.

Brandon

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6

Ok, so I went over to that site, Super Bright LED's, and I was amazed at all the bulbs available. Is there like, on simple list with a bulb for each part of the truck? The Super Bright page has many different variants for each bulb, how do I know which one to choose? Also, do you know if swapping out my gauge cluster bulbs would warrant any electrical system mods, or could I just pop new LED's into their sockets and fire her up? Like I mentioned earlier, I'm very new to the DIY customization thing. First truck, wanna make it look nice, you all know how it goes :p

Thanks,
Brandon

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
For 1998

Ash Tray Light Bulb 161
Auto Trans Indicator Light Bulb PC74
Back Up Light Bulb 1156
Center High Mount Stop Light Bulb 921
Check Engine Light Bulb PC74
Cornering Light Bulb 3157
Courtesy Light Bulb 194
Dome Light Bulb 579
Engine Compartment Light Bulb 561
Glove Box Light Bulb 1891
Headlight Bulb High Beam and Low Beam 9004
High Beam Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Ignition Light 1445
Map Light Bulb 212-2
Parking Brake Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Seat Belt Light Bulb PC74
Side Marker Light Bulb Front 3157A
Side Marker Light Bulb Rear 194
Trunk or Cargo Area Light 921
Turn Signal Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Turn Signal Light Bulb Front 3157A
Fog Light Bulb Front 893
Parking Light Bulb 3157A

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
For 1998

Ash Tray Light Bulb 161
Auto Trans Indicator Light Bulb PC74
Back Up Light Bulb 1156
Center High Mount Stop Light Bulb 921
Check Engine Light Bulb PC74
Cornering Light Bulb 3157
Courtesy Light Bulb 194
Dome Light Bulb 579
Engine Compartment Light Bulb 561
Glove Box Light Bulb 1891
Headlight Bulb High Beam and Low Beam 9004
High Beam Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Ignition Light 1445
Map Light Bulb 212-2
Parking Brake Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Seat Belt Light Bulb PC74
Side Marker Light Bulb Front 3157A
Side Marker Light Bulb Rear 194
Trunk or Cargo Area Light 921
Turn Signal Indicator Light Bulb PC194
Turn Signal Light Bulb Front 3157A
Fog Light Bulb Front 893
Parking Light Bulb 3157A

Thank you, kind sir! Just what I was looking for...

Brandon

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Ok, so this morning I've come up with a time-table of things I have planned to do. I'm gonna keep this thread as an on-going project thread, so moderators, if it's in the wrong place I apologize.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - Project Mopar

Summer/Fall 2015
  • Add a dash-cap to secure and protect OEM cracked dash.
  • Wash, polish, and wax truck.
  • Re-blacken my trim on the bumpers
  • Add custom R/T badging to tail-gate, grille.

Winter 2015
  • Replace Radio with a Kenwood Single-DIM unit
  • Add in new black/grey seat covers from CoverKing
  • Scrub the floor, and add in LED Interior Glow kit.
  • Replace all lights with LED unites from superbrightleds.com
  • Add in a 3-pod gauge pillar, with clock, tachometer, and outside temp.
  • Re-do my Herculiner Bed-Liner

What do you guys think? I'll need help with things like the tachometer and radio, so please, leave any and all advice you can. Also, any tips on how to scrub the plastic floor liners in these trucks would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Brandon

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
We have LED's!

Hey everyone, so yesterday, I got a nice package in the mail from New Jersey, and upon opening it turned out to be my LED light kit from LEDGlow! :naughty: So last night I went over to the shop and spent a hour or two putting them in, and I'm impressed! Definitely worth the $30 I spent for the kit and the expandable circuit. The lights look great, and definitely make the interior look a lot better. Next up, solving the Check Engine light that came on this morning. Gonna pick me up a code reader after payday this week to see what that's all about... Here's hoping it's just a sensor or something, trucks got oil and water and all other fluids, and runs good, so we'll see...

Thanks for looking!
Brandon

Attachments

• 20150808_214805695_iOS.jpg
    20150808_214805695_iOS.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150808_214824684_iOS.jpg
    20150808_214824684_iOS.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20150808_215220798_iOS.jpg
    20150808_215220798_iOS.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 20150808_215016245_iOS.jpg
    20150808_215016245_iOS.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150808_023507659_iOS.jpg
    20150808_023507659_iOS.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 207

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You put it on a switch or set it up with the running lights?

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
You put it on a switch or set it up with the running lights?

It's hooked up on the same circuit that does the dash lights. I took out the stock 5 amp fuse, put it in slot 2 on the expandable circuit, and put the supplied 4 amp fuse that came in the kit into slot 1 on the expandable circuit, as per the instructions. I then plugged the expandable circuit into the fuse box. So, when I pull the switch to the first spot, dash lights, floor lights, and the park lights come on. Second spot turns on the headlights as it should.

Brandon

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's hooked up on the same circuit that does the dash lights. I took out the stock 5 amp fuse, put it in slot 2 on the expandable circuit, and put the supplied 4 amp fuse that came in the kit into slot 1 on the expandable circuit, as per the instructions. I then plugged the expandable circuit into the fuse box. So, when I pull the switch to the first spot, dash lights, floor lights, and the park lights come on. Second spot turns on the headlights as it should.

Brandon

hmmmmmm I might look into this. I've always wanted to put underdash lighting in simply because my truck is SOOO dark at night. lol Probably go green to match my cluster and my ashtray/cupholder lights.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmmmmmm I might look into this. I've always wanted to put underdash lighting in simply because my truck is SOOO dark at night. lol Probably go green to match my cluster and my ashtray/cupholder lights.

I thought about doing the green but I figured red would look better because red truck. Doing the red dash light isn't that hard of a swap either.

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6

That's why I did mine, because these trucks are so dark. The only source of light at night is the dash, which is not much. And, the install isn't all that hard, takes about an hour, and you only need basic tools such as wire strippers, a screwdriver, some side-snips for cutting zip-ties, and a wrench to get your negative battery cable undone. You can either zip tie the tubes up, use the supplied 3M foam adhesive pads, or screw the brackets into a solid surface.

Brandon