1998 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Looking to buy a 1998 with the 5.2 318 I found with 128,000 miles, and the guy says it lags shifting from first to second and he thinks it could be bands or gearing.

Anyone had any experience with this? About how much of a repair cost does it sound like?

Truck is lifted 6 inches and he says it also needs 1 new tire and an alignment (tire wear bad because of alignment)

RamFan30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
By lags in shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear do you mean it gets to a very high RPM before it shifts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

RamFan30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I had some issues with that for a 98 Ram two wheel drive with the 360 and the 46re transmission. It turned out to be the drop-down cable from the throttle body to the transmission linkage needed adjusted solved it in about 5 minutes now I'm not saying that's what you could be with that truck but mine would almost tap out the RPMs before shifting into second gear

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
He says it's been doing it for 3 years, specifically he described it as this...

I know it's not the transmission because if it was it would've taken a dump by now. Its not slipping, it just lags.. as soon as you let your foot out of it, it shifts. It's a solonoid, or gearing or something of that nature.

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Also he says it needs an alignment but only 1 tire is wearing so others say it could be ball joints or wheel hub and not an alignment issue...

RamFan30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Yeah that tire wear definitely sounds like a ball joint or a hub issue I don't see an alignment issue only causing one tire to wear. As far as the lagging, it sounds like if it does shift after you let off the accelerator that it would be that drop down cable that is exactly what mine did and when I adjusted the cable it never did it again but I would definitely research a little bit on adjusting it and actually making the adjustment and then test drive it before you actually purchase it just in case it's something a lot more expensive. There's lots of videos online and other information online about adjusting the drop-down cable if it's not the drop-down cable which it might not be these Dodge transmissions are a nightmare and you're looking at a lot more money to have a running truck

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I need to see if he will let me take it to my usual shop to have it looked at first I guess...the shop can tell me if the transmission is bad hopefully. They do used car inspections for $49.99

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Guy is a straight up *******. "If it was the trans it would've taken a dump by now". That mentality right there I'd be walking away because what else is he too stupid to assume about?

However first step would be adjust kickdown cable and see if it changes. It's highly possible it's way too tight and that even slight throttle pressure causes it to stay in a lower gear. If no change, fluid/filter service with band adjustment goes a loooong way on these. After that you're looking into valvebody issues whether it's electrical or fluid

RamFan30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I agree with dapepper9 100%. The guy don't sound very... what's the word? Intelligent? And good point on the valvebody. One little scrap of anything in a valvebody can make it do all sorts of different things. Just take my advice and please don't try rebuilding your transmission on your own if it comes down to that. I tried once.... never EVER again
Unless of course you have the experience and knowhow or have someone handy who does. I have rebuilt everything on a truck from bumper to bumper and figured, what the hell, how hard could it be. Never tore into one before but gotta learn somehow right??? WRONG!!! It was a nightmare of biblical proportions and when I finally got it back together I didn't have OverDrive or reverse but for the first time doing it I did have first second and third gear and when I started I didn't have any so I guess I didn't do that bad.. LOL

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
If the truck is $1500 or less, I'd say go for it. If hes wanting a couple thousand, I'd pass.

Alignment can be done yourself, used 35" tire of less $75 mounted at most shops IF they have them.

TRans fluid and filter about $60.

Adjustment free.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you live near a sears auto center, you can get a year long unlimited miles alignment for about $114, that is good at any sears auto center in the country.