1999 ECM Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
I have a 1999 Ram 1500 4WD A/T that was originally equipped with a 5.2. I swapped a 5.9 from a 97 ram that was wrecked. The 97 ECM will not work in the 99 because of the gauge changes. To me the truck seems under powered. A check showed all the engine sensors are the same. A friend with a 96 1500 4WD w/ 5.9 drove it and agreed it was under powered. Now to the question:

What is the best way to get the correct ECM for my truck? Can't go by the VIN, that will get me what I have. Should I try to find a 1999 with a 5.9 and get ECM number? I'd love to try someone's ECM to see if it makes a difference but honestly, I wouldn't want to loan mine so expecting someone to loan their's is asking a little much. Also if I find a used one will it need programmed?

TIA for responses. Al

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Any 98-99 PCM from a truck with the 5.9l with your style trans and 4x4 will work. You don't need to program anything else for it to run but i'd suggest the APPS relearn procedure after the swap just to make sure the TPS is properly registering with the PCM. Other than that, its plug and play.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
What is a apps relearn going to do for a 3 wire sensor? Genuinely curious, not being a smartass.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If he's talking the gauges it won't do anything. If he's talking about disconnecting battery and and draining residual charge in the system then thst does help when replacing sensors. Kind of like a reboot on your home pc when installing new software.

I would find a 99 PCM for a 5.9, 5.2s have different fuel and timing demands regardless of what anybody trys to tell you. They'll run each other but not great. 98 also had a few weird changes going on so that's my reasoning for sticking to 99 specifically

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
If he's talking the gauges it won't do anything. If he's talking about disconnecting battery and and draining residual charge in the system then thst does help when replacing sensors. Kind of like a reboot on your home pc when installing new software.

I would find a 99 PCM for a 5.9, 5.2s have different fuel and timing demands regardless of what anybody trys to tell you. They'll run each other but not great. 98 also had a few weird changes going on so that's my reasoning for sticking to 99 specifically

An apps relearn is to learn the min and max movement of the apps by the pcm/ecm. Why I am curious as to what it effects on a 3 wire tps. Had these trucks (gas) had an apps I could understand.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
An apps relearn is to learn the min and max movement of the apps by the pcm/ecm. Why I am curious as to what it effects on a 3 wire tps. Had these trucks (gas) had an apps I could understand.

Ehh, wrong acronym, not an apps, per say. But i've had three TPS in my truck, the original, a cheap one and finally one from the dealer. It's not going to have the same effect as on the diesels which will throw codes at you if its bad enough. But clearing the memory on the PCM then relearning the range from a 3 wire can help solve some minor issues. When I first replaced mine it had a range of about 35%-80% aprox on the cheap one, it would have some strange issues if you barely hit the gas at low speeds. After disconnecting the battery then connecting it, turning the key to run and slowly pushing the pedal from rest to the floor it change the percentages to aprox 20%-80%. After that failed in about two months I put the mopar one in, which read slightly different and now reads 17%-78%.

I may be wrong about how the PCM reads the TPS, but 'resetting' the thing after changing the TPS seems to have fixed some small strange issues.