2000 5.9 v8 heating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

switchblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone so I have some questions my cab is only getting good heat when under throttle I changed the thermostat and made sure there's no airlock and it's still doing it...do you think it could be the water pump..cause idk if I can afford a new water pump atm since I'm making a trip outta town this weekend to go see some old friends and such

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I had a similar problem, albeit on a 5.2, and the major cause was the heat exchanger needing a good flush, that brought back almost all the heat. Then that spring about 3 months later I replaced the water pump as it started leaking and got a slight boost in heat output from that.

First thing I would do is flush both forward and back the heater core, and you might want to just do the whole system if it hasnt been done in a few years. Don't worry about using distilled water, just use a garden hose. With all the contaminates in the cooling system the water will only be distilled for a minute anyway.