2000 dodge ram 1500 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Hey I just joined this forum becuase I recently bought my first ram. Been around a 87 Dakota but it wasn't mine. Mine is a 2000 ram 1500 with a 360 (not stock) and Dana 60 axles front and rear with 1 ton suspension. Very bumpy ride and wish the previous owner hadn't put the 1ton suspension on half ton truck but whatever lol. Believe it's a 4in suspension lift with a 3 inch body. I'm in process of paintin it. Can you post pictures using photobucket off of my phone?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to RamForum!

You can post pictures to PhotoBucket from your phone.
And link from Photobucket to RamForum, but it's a touch tedious.

You are right to dislike 1 ton suspension on a 1/2 ton truck. Ugh.
Sounds like a monster of a truck with 7" of lift!

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I have the front bumper but the mounts were shot and it was rattling so I took it off to remount it. Looks cool without it lol

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
4B0BFC55-C66C-4500-BE0B-8A41CA68F7C3_zpsgww5n5hl.jpg back when I painted oil pain, new gasket, rear main, flywheel,clutch,pressure plate, and tranny it has a 5 speed nv3500 also the diffs have 4:10 my 4x4 does not work anymore... Worked it to hard one weekend and wouldn't engage then I put a new actuator on the axle and it would come in and out then now it does not engage at all... lol lookin for a manual hub locking axle or if you guys have any better ideas? Open for segustions EB61F001-92B3-4EE7-932F-807FCA570A2E_zpsf8qhhdpu.jpg
Also that's the paint scheme I doing. The white is paint also no stickers haha

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Check the vac switch in the xcase make sure its working.

As for a bolt in front diff with part time hubs, there is not one. You can buy spin free kit's to the tune of $1500+ or depending on the year of your Dana 60 you might be able to use certain years Ford knuckles and hubs.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a monster rig in the making.

I'd say do yourself a favor, don't dump money into those cute lil 1500 axles.
Locate some 1 ton units and build those up. You'll spend less in the end, and have something far more capable.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Looks like a monster rig in the making.

I'd say do yourself a favor, don't dump money into those cute lil 1500 axles.
Locate some 1 ton units and build those up. You'll spend less in the end, and have something far more capable.

According to his first post it has Dana 60's in it already.

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Yep the owner I got it from got it with the rear end blown and 38s. So he put the Dana 60s front and rear with 4:10 gears and 35s. In sticking to 35s and thanks guys I like the truck it's fun to cruise around in and takes mud like a champ lol. But I kno on my 88 grand wagoner it has a Dana axle I think a 44 in the front with vaccume operation, and I believe it works like my friend 2012 wrangler witch has a Dana 30 in the front. They work by vaccume but it locks and unlocks the HUBS, just like a manual setup. So they don't have this kind for a Dana 60? Is that what you mean by part time? Is the hubs are what's being locked and unlocked rather then the two peice axle on the passenger side with a shift collar?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As I posted there is no front diff like that for our trucks, it is a cad system as you know. Part time or manual hubs means you have to get out of your truck and lock the hubs in or out.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This is a very basic parts list.

96' Ford Knuckles
Ford SRW Hub with internals
Ford Stub Shaft
Reman Ford Calipers
Ford Caliper Bracket
3/8-24 Banjo Bolt (New)
Heavy Duty Dana 60 U-Joints
Dana 60 Spindle Bushings
Rotors 13"
Ball Joint Set
Ford Brake Pads
Timken Bearings and Races
5/8 Washers
3/4 Washers

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Since you're new to the forum (welcome by the way. Love the truck) I thought I might fill you in. This man ^ has absolutely the most extensive knowledge on these trucks ever. If he told me my Ram came with a Ford 302 from the factory i would believe him, lmao.
Anyways again welcome. Love the truck. I hope to see much more from this build.

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
This is a very basic parts list.

96' Ford Knuckles
Ford SRW Hub with internals
Ford Stub Shaft
Reman Ford Calipers
Ford Caliper Bracket
3/8-24 Banjo Bolt (New)
Heavy Duty Dana 60 U-Joints
Dana 60 Spindle Bushings
Rotors 13"
Ball Joint Set
Ford Brake Pads
Timken Bearings and Races
5/8 Washers
3/4 Washers
Is there a thread on this being done? And in your opinion would it be worth it to just fix the axle I have or do the work to get it to where it had part time hubs.

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Since you're new to the forum (welcome by the way. Love the truck) I thought I might fill you in. This man ^ has absolutely the most extensive knowledge on these trucks ever. If he told me my Ram came with a Ford 302 from the factory i would believe him, lmao.

Thanks man! Yea will be painting it to

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Is there a thread on this being done? And in your opinion would it be worth it to just fix the axle I have or do the work to get it to where it had part time hubs.

There is no thread here on RF about this mod. I plan on doing this mod at some point this summer, the biggest gain out of this mod is that you can service the wheel bearings and not spend a fortune on unit bearings. If you are doing this for mpg you might see a small gain like 2-4 mpg.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas

Thank you Sir

OP
OP
Crocdocs

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
There is no thread here on RF about this mod. I plan on doing this mod at some point this summer, the biggest gain out of this mod is that you can service the wheel bearings and not spend a fortune on unit bearings. If you are doing this for mpg you might see a small gain like 2-4 mpg.

Alright, will you be postin about it? I'd like to see it done and the mpg is one gain, the bearings is another and I personly think it is a stronger system than the shift collar, but that's my opinion.