2000 Ram 1500 Rear Axle assy swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03marauderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know the difference between a 2X4 & 4X4 rear axle assy?. I have a 3.55 Corporate 9.25 posi rear in my 4X4....after much measuring I bought a 2X4 rear with the same ratio/posi. (as I could not find a good 4X4 rear) The part numbers for the housings are different, however they measure the same. I measured the yoke area, tubes from backing plates to pumpkin housing...all measurments appear to be exactly the same.....Why in reference applications, do they show differences between 2X4 & 4X4 ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated PS - Salvage yards & Dealers are really of no help..... Thanks

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
To my understanding it lays in the shock bracket orientation welded to the diff thats it. Check it out and post back if you can.

OP
OP

03marauderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gotta vent on this one.....Is this the reason why all this new iron costs 40k + - because these manufactures can't make a part the interchanges with another? You could probably bolt this rear to a 69 Road Runner...In the meantime we all pay for reasearch & developmemt built into the price of theses vehicles... This swap is on my "To Do" list but still am curious as to the differences between 2X4 & 4X4..... Thanks for your responses.....Keep em coming.....

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I gotta vent on this one.....Is this the reason why all this new iron costs 40k + - because these manufactures can't make a part the interchanges with another? You could probably bolt this rear to a 69 Road Runner...In the meantime we all pay for reasearch & developmemt built into the price of theses vehicles... This swap is on my "To Do" list but still am curious as to the differences between 2X4 & 4X4..... Thanks for your responses.....Keep em coming.....

Keep what coming? As you have both diff's at hand check the shock mounts, if they are the same bolt it in. The 9.25 has been around for decades same basic design just different mounting for different apps.

I have heard this more than once.

The op has both diff's I for one would like to know if this holds true or not.

OP
OP

03marauderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep them coming....The responses !!! somebody must have come across this before...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dude, Merc just told you to compare the shock mounts on the two housings.

Done that yet? lol

OP
OP

03marauderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge Dude....You said no difference..... Merc 225 had the answer......lol back at ya...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I hadn't thought of it before and it made sense.

But you're still asking for responses when you could have already answered your own question by now.

So, no, not back at me. lol