2nd gen drum to dissc brake conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrekLawler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hello everyone,
new to the forum, looks like a great site. Sorry if this question has been asked as I couldn't find any details by searching.

I have a 1995 RAM 1500 with the 5.2 in it, picked it up from my dad who was the original owner so i had to keep it in the family. I'd like to get rid of the drum brakes in the rear and replace them with discs. I've searched and found conversion kits from Jegs and Summit however was wondering if there are any swaps that can be completed from parts from junk yards?

Thanks in advance,

T. Lawler
K.C., MO.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think using junkyard parts would save you any money if that is what you are trying to do. there lots of parts i would not even consider buying used especially when it comes to brakes.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, from all the research I did when I had Gen II Rams, the answer is no.

I couldn't find a damned thing I could do, I was about ready to swap in a Ford 9" to have a narrower disc'd axle.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could do a disc brake Dana 60 swap :D

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a conversion kit than it would be to buy a newer axle, cut, narrow it and then buy larger rims and tires to fit it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just get larger wheel cylinders and keep them adjusted.

Hell, GM still uses drums on their half tons.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just get larger wheel cylinders and keep them adjusted.

Hell, GM still uses drums on their half tons.

Still nowhere near the efficiency of disc. GM still does a lot of things that make no sense.

OP- the conversion kit would be your best bet.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Still nowhere near the efficiency of disc. GM still does a lot of things that make no sense.

OP- the conversion kit would be your best bet.

This is true, but converting to 8800 gvwr brakes and GM 1-ton wheel cylinders will make more difference than you'd know. I've heard stories of dudes nearly having the back end on their trucks come around on them in the rain after the upgrade.

So the world doesn't have to revolve around disc brakes, and unless you have a ****load of cash to drop on a custom rear disc brake conversion setup, upgrading your braking system to 8800 brakes with the 1-ton wheel cylinders makes a very good alternative.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is true, but converting to 8800 gvwr brakes and GM 1-ton wheel cylinders will make more difference than you'd know. I've heard stories of dudes nearly having the back end on their trucks come around on them in the rain after the upgrade.

So the world doesn't have to revolve around disc brakes, and unless you have a ****load of cash to drop on a custom rear disc brake conversion setup, upgrading your braking system to 8800 brakes with the 1-ton wheel cylinders makes a very good alternative.

Bigger is always better, but braking is all about heat transfer. And discs have the upper hand in that matter. There is no doubt you will see an increase in grabbing power, but for brake fade when towing, disc resists fade.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bigger is always better, but braking is all about heat transfer. And discs have the upper hand in that matter. There is no doubt you will see an increase in grabbing power, but for brake fade when towing, disc resists fade.

True, but my statement still stands.

Cost/benefit ratio puts the upgraded drums ahead of discs IMO.

OP
OP
T

TrekLawler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks everyone for the feedback. You've given me some food for thought.

Best regards,

Trek

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
i've replaced everything on my truck with the stock 8800lbs brakes it has , with everything bled and adjusted right my truck stops extremely well. i think it'd be a waste of money. drive the truck, if your diff blows up for some reason, look into a swap then...save your money for gas brother lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
8800 calipers on a Dana 44? Are you sure you don't mean the 7500 ld 2500 calipers. As for a rear disc swap yes you could look at using the 02 rear setup, not a true bolt in as the flanges on the axle need to be modded a bit, and you will need 17" rims. I have test fitted these parts to a certain point when I had the 9.25 rear diff. If you have the small master cyld you can try upgrading the the larger 1.25 bore master.

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
8800 calipers on a Dana 44? Are you sure you don't mean the 7500 ld 2500 calipers. As for a rear disc swap yes you could look at using the 02 rear setup, not a true bolt in as the flanges on the axle need to be modded a bit, and you will need 17" rims. I have test fitted these parts to a certain point when I had the 9.25 rear diff. If you have the small master cyld you can try upgrading the the larger 1.25 bore master.

are you talking to me? when i bought brake parts, everything was the biggest in the listing for parts except for dually stuff..same with the wheel beaings and wheel joints i did

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It was just a general comment thats all. As far as I know the 8800 calipers will not fit the Dana 44, but I also have never tried that. Yes I have tried the 7500 ld 2500 calipers on the 44 and they fit, I did not keep that setup for long mind you. I might have an old set of 1500 calipers if so I will compare the mounting areas and general size compared to the 8800 calipers just so we know.

The best upgrade for me brake wise before the Dana 60 went in was the install of a set of Crown braided brake lines, they made a big difference in pedal feel and response. Our year trucks are not listed on there site, just call them and they can make whatever you need.

@ Heavy is your truck a 1500 or 2500?

suseuser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Compared to other vehicles I've owned, the brakes on my RAM seem a little weak. In an emergency situation I think I would have to hit it with both feet. I don't know if this has anything to do with having drum brakes. I'm going to check out the brake booster just for good measure.

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
It was just a general comment thats all. As far as I know the 8800 calipers will not fit the Dana 44, but I also have never tried that. Yes I have tried the 7500 ld 2500 calipers on the 44 and they fit, I did not keep that setup for long mind you. I might have an old set of 1500 calipers if so I will compare the mounting areas and general size compared to the 8800 calipers just so we know.

The best upgrade for me brake wise before the Dana 60 went in was the install of a set of Crown braided brake lines, they made a big difference in pedal feel and response. Our year trucks are not listed on there site, just call them and they can make whatever you need.

@ Heavy is your truck a 1500 or 2500?

sorry merc, been busy fixing moms jeep. My trucks weird, i didnt really know what i had till i started buying parts for it, my trucks a 99 2500 4x4. but i have the DHD tcase and the 1410 driveshaft (as we've already discussed) its got a 60 in the rear, it had a height/weight proportion valve tied into the rear brake hose (gone now) i know when i did the rear it was the biggest brake setup for a 3500 SRW setup that year. i got the wrong pads the first time, so im assuming i have the 8800's on the front 60, but may be 7200s but i doubt it with my truck. it has a factory trailer brake installed. has a plow prep package which i think is a power steering and bigger trans cooler. on the rear leaf pack, it has the overload springs on top aswell. All i know is i know gas attendants by their first names lol
this help?
923560_10151593819800829_1396031986_n.jpg
looks like this now though.. I need a bigger garage, its getting cold lol
13001_10151835488300829_974223917_n.jpg

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Now that I know you have a 2500, yeah you probably do have the 8800 brakes like me. For some reason I had it in my head you were working on a modded 1500. Last of the good year Dana 60 fronts diff as well, ezer to install a F**d part time kit.