46re compatability? 96-01?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I am aware of the sensor difference. But other than that if I just swapped the throttle bodys and senors would it work?

The reason I'm asking is I have two transmissions I'm rebuilding right now. One is a 46re from a 1996. Some one had it rebuilt and it wouldn't shift without letting off the gas then it lost OD and reverse all within 100 miles.
The forward direct clutch drum seal was overlapped when installed and I don't think the friction plates go to this model because there too fat so they never put the wavy snap ring in the groove (LOL). Also the OD snap ring was in pieces.
The second transmission I'm rebuilding is from my 2001. I was thinking of keeping both for my 2001 and running one in the winter for plowing and one in the summer for daily driving/hauling. Or just keep it for a spare.
The original plan was to fix the 96 46re and sell it but if I could put it to use.
Thanks again.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Aside from the very minor year specific differences inside the valvebody/pan area (governor transducer/sensor, tcc/od solenoids, neutral safety)you won't have any issues.

Only other real difference is the pre-98 and early 98s speed sensor was in the t case instead of the rear axle like your 01. Seeing as you dint even have to worry about that, you'll be safe

OP
OP
T

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I just wanted to take the time to say thanks for the help. Also to let anyone know that reads this your throttle body has nothing to do with compatibility. Which was also spelt wrong. Between the ads that freeze my browser mid typing and autocorrect when I went back to read this I felt rather foolish.
Thanks again.
Valve body is in the pan. Throttle bodys on your intake.