46RE rebuild help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jedeka

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 and 1997
Engine
408 and 5.2
I am rebuilding a 46RE to put in a 97 1/2t 4x4. I ordered and received my rebuild parts, including a Sure Cure kit. I plan on adding a steel and friction plate with a thinner pressure plate in the O/D direct clutch pack. I am also swapping out the thick reaction plate in the overdrive clutch pack with 2 steel plates and one friction plate. I am looking into upgrading the direct(front) clutch to 4 frictions instead of 3 frictions, like the forward(rear) clutch. Both clutch packs use the same frictions and steels. The problem with this upgrade is that I cannot find a pressure plate thinner than the .285" (part#22146). Is there a thinner pressure plate available or do I need a different drum (part#22555B)? Also, I want to check my intermediate shaft for correct spacer and measure for correct O/D piston thrust plate. I assume these need to be checked when rebuilding. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Idk how much we can help ya to be honest. Most of us don't know transmission internals very well.