46re and snap ring in pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeSean1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 360 4x4
I found a piece of a snap ring in the pan when doing the filter change. Im under the impression its the OD snap ring. Can i turn off OD and drive the truck until i replace the snap ring without causing possible damage?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It depends on what else is broken. In the end, there is no guarantee that driving won't cause damage. However, you're going to have to rebuild or replace it anyway.

Its already broken, you can't really break it more, it already needs a rebuild. If something else breaks and it fails to drive, then it will need a rebuild. I say drive it around without OD, as much as people hate on these transmissions they are actually pretty tough. I've been limping mine around for over a year, it doesn't shift right and comes out of gear if you push the gas too much.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mine should've been dead nearly 5 years ago lol. Few bandaids here and there and it still does whst i need it to

OP
OP
D

DodgeSean1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 360 4x4
thanks, I took it do the dealer I bought it from to talk to them. I bought the truck 12 days ago and took it to get a fresh paint job 5 days later and just picked it up from the paint shop 2 days ago when I did the tranny fluid and filter change and noticed the clip. so of the 12 days of ownership, Ive driven less than 200 miles in 7 days, hopefully they will treat me fair. I know I signed an "AS IS" statement but had anybody known the transmission was already shot when I bought it thing would have been different.

OP
OP
D

DodgeSean1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 360 4x4
local transmission shop quote 700 bucks to rebuild the OD unit. That's them doing all the work. Is this reasonable?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
When you buy a vehicle "as is" that is exactly what it means. I've seen many people try to get a dealer to fix stuff to no avail.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
local transmission shop quote 700 bucks to rebuild the OD unit. That's them doing all the work. Is this reasonable?

Its not bad, but not what i'd do.

Most of the labor will be in pulling the trans from the vehicle and disassembling the trans to get to the OD unit.

At 700 you're a third of the way to a full rebuild. You can expect anywhere from 2K to 2.4K for a complete rebuild, but you won't have any problems after that. Whereas just fixing the OD unit might leave you with a busted trans in another 7K miles because the clutch packs wore out or the valve body got clogged.

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I don't know why more people just don't rebuild them themselves when you get them apart there real simple. Hardest part is taking it out. Might aswell do a full rebuild while in there. Only costs around 200$ in parts without replaceing the sensors. youtube has very detailed videos you can watch that cover everything. I wish I started rebuilding transmissions sooner. Would have saved me a ton of money.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I don't know why more people just don't rebuild them themselves when you get them apart there real simple. Hardest part is taking it out. Might aswell do a full rebuild while in there. Only costs around 200$ in parts without replaceing the sensors. youtube has very detailed videos you can watch that cover everything. I wish I started rebuilding transmissions sooner. Would have saved me a ton of money.

A lot of the time its the unknown that scares them off. Like replacing the engine in a vehicle, to the uninitiated, its just as hard as a trans rebuild. When in reality, I could take just about anyone off the street, show them how to use basic socket wrenches, maybe an impact, then walk them through step by step, almost anyone can replace an engine.

To me, its nothing, but I have years of experience and know its just larger bolts than normal. But to some, its a huge undertaking that seems like just too many steps to tackle.