4 wheel drive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

higrade

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 dodge ram 1500
Engine
5.2 liter
My 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 with 318 engine feels like it's jumping in and out of 4 wheel drive when under load on the slightest incline. There's a thunk sound associated with this. Any thoughts on cause? Adjustment on shift cable/lever?

Thanks for the help

toomanymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Where is the thunk coming from? Front axle area? Our trucks have a 4wd actuator thats a problem. On some trucks it will engage and disengage (its vacuum controlled) So if you have a vacuum leak somewhere it could be your issue. Other than that you could adjust the shift lever linkage but I doubt its the problem. Transfer case chain could have slack and it could be jumping. But I doubt it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the thunk coming from? Front axle area? Our trucks have a 4wd actuator thats a problem. On some trucks it will engage and disengage (its vacuum controlled) So if you have a vacuum leak somewhere it could be your issue. Other than that you could adjust the shift lever linkage but I doubt its the problem. Transfer case chain could have slack and it could be jumping. But I doubt it.

Yup vac leak somwhere in the system.

OP
OP
H

higrade

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 dodge ram 1500
Engine
5.2 liter
Thanks for the replies-I'll start looking for a vacuum leak