4wd actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgoodwill0527

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a 2001 dodge ram 1500 last week, I knew it needed a new actuator one of the prongs for the vacuum line was broke put a new actuator on and the 4wd light still didn't come on so I thought maybe I put the vacuum lines on the actuator backwards switched them and the 4wd light came on in 2wd and nutral. Any ideas why the light wouldn't come on when there in the right spot. And I'm pretty sure its not engaging either when put into 4lo or hi put a new actuator on. Please help

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There is a vacuum switch on the transfer case that draws vacuum through one of two lines to either engage or disengage the actuator.

Concerning the two hoses going to the actuator, one should have a vacuum, the other should not. When you shift into four-wheel-drive, the vacuum signals should switch.

If neither line has vacuum when you shift into 4x4, there's a good chance that your transfer case switch is *****'d and will need to be replaced. You could try cleaning it, but they're so cheap to mail-order, it's not really worth the effort. You'll need a 1 1/16" wrench to fit it.

Be warned, the switch can be a PITA to remove. Even with a bigass wrench, I can't get mine to budge and am going to have to have a shop remove it.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You could also go with a cable operated actuator.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Thanks for the info. I just picked up a 98 1500 extended cab, with a 5.2 & automatic. The 4x4 wont engage. Now I know where to start Thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452