4WD indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndavis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, and the 4WD indicator light won't go off. It is in 2 wheel drive, and I haven't noticed it slipping into 4wd at all. Not a big issue, but the light being on all the time is super annoying. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The 4x4 light gets it's signal from a sensor located near the actuator on the front axle which is basically an on/off switch. I'm pretty sure it has a pintle that depresses when the actuator engages and that causes your 4x4 light to turn on. Disengaging the 4x4 will disengage the actuator and cause the pintle to relax which turns off the 4x4 light.

My guess is the pintle in your sensor is stuck in the depressed position. The sensor only costs like $10 to replace. If you want to be cheap however, you could try blasting it with some WD-40 and see if it loosens.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pull the cad housing (4 bolts, 7/16 if I remember correctly) and blast the pintle with brake cleaner. Let it dry before bolting back together and see how it responds

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My light comes on sometimes. And sometimes not...stays on when I'm in 2we sometimes not. Was stuck on after a steep decline
got on the freeway in 2wd light was still on as I approached 75" -80 it flickered and. Went off slower down and it flickered to life...about 5 miles on I sent the hammer down. And that thing never lit up again .I'm sure I could put in another one and it could act up and bother me ,but I can feel that my truck is in 4high and it's a shift engaged transfer case not those stupid electric push button action that beats a gas that expands a pin like Chevy in the 90s or a cervo or linear motor whatever the means having a fist full of steel direct contact with the transfer case.when they pop out you can see hear and feel it .and grab it and muscle it to stay in gear...always can limp it out of about any thing. Dana 60 solid axles
The less ssensor s the better..add a tranny cooler and core the cat best thing that oh can do for your truck.the plenum fix is up there.

Attachments

• 20210215_171631.jpg
    20210215_171631.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1