96 46re overheating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevin m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member here first post so be gentle with me. Transmission issue with my 96 5.2 46re put a used trans in as the one in the truck was burnt when I bought it. having overheat issues, replaced ck valve flushed cooler checked for flow thru cooler and back to trans. ok. only thing im thinking now is used trans had a deeper pan on it but it had a hole in it so I put the old pan on in its place do I need the extra oil? I drive less then 10 miles od off light comes on 2 miles more temp light comes on I can smell hot fluid outside the truck.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yikes.

I may be wrong, but your new/used trans. might be smoked now.

I'm thinking that the old trans. may have puked up some stuff that was still in the cooler lines going to the cooler, so even though you replaced the cooler and check valve, it likely clogged the check valve up again.

General procedure when replacing transmissions is to completely to a cooler line flush with fresh ATF before operating the new tranmission.

OP
OP
K

kevin m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes i see that now, dont think its smoked still shifts fine till od light comes on then wont go to overdrive. I havent driven it but a couple miles after light comes. Which happened twice

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You might try flushing the fluid and checking the check valve again.