96 Ram 1500 Truck drive shaft center bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glpeters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 1996 Ram 1500 Truck 5.2 started making a bad noise right at what I think is referred to as the drive shaft center bearing. It's where the front drive shaft and rear are joined together. Has anyone replaced this bearing and if so could you give me an idea on level of difficult and any tricks? I do most of my own stuff (brakes, water pumps etc..) so I'm not completely helpless. Thanks.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
are u refering to the carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft??? (only on a 2 piece driveshaft)
or the one in the transfer case???

OP
OP
G

glpeters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a picture

I'm not sure on what it's called. It's a two wheel drive. About half way back there is a mount hung off the frame with what I'm guessing is a bearing. The front half of the drive goes through this. The back half of the drive shaft starts on the other side. I tried to attach a picture. The picture is from under looking up. The red drive shaft is coming from the front. The boot is the beginning of the rear.

Attachments

• DSCF3191.jpg
    DSCF3191.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
thats called ur carrier bearing and its farily easy to replace i just did mine not to long ago all u pretty much need is a vise, hammer, chisel maybe a torch