'97 Cummins 5.9 pulling my hair out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fattywright

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have a '97 Cummins 5.9. The truck will start but only runs a couple seconds then stalls. If you roll it again it's the same thing. If you turn the key to the run position the fuel solenoid will open and stay. When you turn the key off the solenoid closes. If you manually open the solenoid and hold it open the truck will run and stay running. It runs good but no tach, no speedometer and the truck will not shift out of high gear unless you manually shift it. The fuse link is good and we replaced the crank sensor. This did not help. If anyone would be able to help it would save the rest of my hair. Thanks for any and all help.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start with trouble shooting the fuel solenoid, and ignition, see if you have power to both sides of the solenoid to exclude the ignition wiring.

My guess is the fuel solenoid is bad, not sure if the tack runs of that circuit too or gets a signal from the fuel solenoid than isn't working right... but that also could be a bad ignition switch not supplying power to those systems.

but start with above and also check your voltage output at both batteries. may also have a dead battery and uneven charging causing a voltage issue.

This is all a guess but where I would start

OP
OP
Fattywright

Fattywright

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not sure how else to test the solenoid. If the key is turned on The solenoid opens and will stay open. As soon as it's started though the solenoid closes even with the key on. Checked all fuses and relays and found nothing bad. How would I go about checking the ignition switch? The thing I don't understand most is why would the speedometer not work?