98 1500 5.9 wiring/lighting issue .. im completely lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steinle5.998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey there I'm new to the forum and I recently bought the truck and when I bought the truck I replaced the left turn signal thinking the bulb was just burnt out.. well after replacing the light, the left turn signal still flashes fast but both lights are working the front signal blinks fast and dim the rear works fine. Also when I turn the left turn signal on the wipers turn on. When I honk the horn the wipers come one. Washer fluid doesn't work either.. I just replaced the multifunction switch and no change at all.. I cleaned the grounds behind the headlight and by the battery.. no result.. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out cause now I'm completely lost

OP
OP
Steinle5.998

Steinle5.998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I forgot to mention that when the headlights are on the left turn signal indicator on the dashboard is continuously on.. I do have the fuse for the wipers out right now in order to drive without the wipers coming on

OP
OP
Steinle5.998

Steinle5.998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I cleaned off the two grounds that are between the battery and the left headlight.. I'm not really sure what other grounds there are to look at

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.

Your multifunction switch is on the column right?

If so Disconnect your battery and wait for about 5 minutes and let the air bag lose its "reserve" power.

Start taking the column trim pieces off and look for damaged wires.

From there you will be looking for other funky wiring that PO may have threw together.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

OP
OP
Steinle5.998

Steinle5.998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
All the wiring looks alright go to the multifunction switch.. I started thinking about and I think the PO may have installed an aftermarket stereo and possibly had trailer wires installed.. do either one of these sound like the could be the cause of this.. I do know the trail or wires are functional.. what's your thoughts?
Appreciate the help!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do any of the front turn signal sockets look like they have been replaced? a turn signal indicator coming on when the lights are on i think usually means the light is out or someone replace the socket and mixed up a few wires. been there and done that.

quadcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
You either have a open wire somewhere or a fuse block that has been overheated and shorting. I would check each wire for the turn signal with a multimeter. What your looking for is low resistance, measured in ohms. If they show less than 10 ohms then your wires are fine and I would snag a new fuse block from the junkyard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk now Free

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Electrician. I work at a factory. Ground issue. I had a paragraph on how to help you, but the site keeps bumping me off when I try to post. Along with the usual sign-on issues. Kinda tired of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steinle5.998

Steinle5.998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the help everyone.. I will keep looking into and let y'all know what comes of it

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Electrician. I work at a factory. Ground issue. I had a paragraph on how to help you, but the site keeps bumping me off when I try to post. Along with the usual sign-on issues. Kinda tired of that . Maybe I should go to another forum?

No matter how long it takes you to make a post you can still post it. I had this problem in the beginning. When you hit the post tab it takes you to a log in screen. If you scroll down on that screen a little bit you will find your log in and password already in the fields. Just hit log in and it will make your post and sign you back in. Kinda a PITA but it's not as frustrating as your post being deleted. Hope this helps.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My truck did the same exact thing. Annoyed me to no end!! Took it to the shop and what they did was redo the grounds from my horn and from my fog lights. I went through and replaced my multifunction switch headlight switch and foglight switch. Then to find out it was grounds. Electrical gremlins are the worst.