98 dodge whine or hum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xtaysea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
just bought a 1998 dodge 2500 auto, has a 360 mag in it.. has alot of kms.
i have a whining or humming noise that happens only when i accelerate. sometimes pressing breaks or slowing down stops it or the sound minimizes, but continues when i accelerate again. it doesnt do it if im parked, just when im driving. i read in a few forums that it could be low on power steering fluid and thats what could cause the hum/ whine. it does need fluid as it doesnt register. gonna get some fluid for it tomorow and see if the problem gets fixed. but a few other forums have said it could be many other things

i dont know if me listing the current problems would help to get a correct answer or not so im just gonna list them just in case.

just bought the truck 2 days ago and it was sitting since last fall. the t-case is gone. oil was almost empty, no steering pump fluid or coolant was in it. code reader says it has a misfire on 1 & 5. has a random misfire, and speed sensor.. those will be fixed tomorow. the whining or humming is very annoying and sounds like its coming from the front.

what do you think it could be?

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
hey man. where in ontario are you? my truck does the same thing, my intakes leaking, it GULPS air when i get on the skinny pedal. i'm just waiting for it to warm up so i can pull my top end apart.

is it coming from your motor or front axle? that busted tcase or front driveshaft could aslo be causing some noise.

good luck man