99 Ram1500 5.9 Magnum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I've got a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 that stops immediately after start up it won't even idle I drove the truck 2 the gas station awhile back and put $25 worth of gas in I got in the truck went 2 leave and it was missing some so I reved it up & it was lagging power bad I pulled away from the pump made it about 3,000 yards and it quit it started back but wouldn't take any gas it would just idle I've drained all the gas out I got thinking it was bad and put 15gals of good gas in it with no change I've also put a new fuel pump with filter on it new Can & Crank Sensors New IAC sensor new Tps sensor new peneum gasket new timing chain & gears and its in time perfectly I've also checked all of the fuses and relays and there all good also checked all of the wires and vacuum hoses and nothing is broke or corroded truck also has new Interstate 885 Cranking Amp 750 CCA Amp battery with new terminals and new ground wire cable PLEASE HELP IVE TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Sounds like for starters. .. clogged air filter or catalytic converter? Coil wire?

OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Checked fire has great fire its neon blue with 14ohms

OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Its not air filter its brand new K&N Filter has no Cat on it never has in the 4yrs I drove it and it has brand new plugs wires dist.cap rottor button with new coil I replaced that a month ago & it ran fine after that so I know there not hooked up wrong it just did this 1 day outta no where

OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Checked fire has great fire its neon blue with 12ohms

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sounds like the cat to me.

OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
The truck rolls over fine starter is in good shape it just won't run at all won't even idle only way it'll even start is if u hold it 2 the floor then it starts for about 2sec.... And immediately dies

OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
There's no cat on it there hasn't been 1 for 4yrs + now

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sounds like a fuel filter issue.

Doing a little research points me to the only filter we have is a sock on the end of the fuel pump??? how can that be?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Pour an ounce or so of fuel down the throttle body and see if it starts and runs for a few seconds. That's how we narrowed down a no start condition one time on my 97. That and no sound from the fuel pump when the key was turned.
Fortunately we were correct because it was a 100 mile round trip into town from where we were camped while hunting.
It's no fun dropping a fuel tank in the mountains for sure.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The truck rolls over fine starter is in good shape it just won't run at all won't even idle only way it'll even start is if u hold it 2 the floor then it starts for about 2sec.... And immediately dies
Perfect spark...plenty of cranking power.... 1 of 2 things: fuel or compression.

Now, holding it to the floor and cranking puts it in what is known as clear flood mode. Clear flood is what it sounds like- it clears a flood condition. Stops fuel from flowing into the cylinders. Considering that's when it starts, I'm thinking you're running way too rich.
There's no cat on it there hasn't been 1 for 4yrs + now
No cat will run a tad rich
Sounds like a fuel filter issue.

Doing a little research points me to the only filter we have is a sock on the end of the fuel pump??? how can that be?
Doubt it's a fuel filter issue as he already replaced the whole assembly. Yes the only filter is the sock type on the pump pickup tube. Not a big deal, rare that it ever causes an issue.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
And please, don't post the exact same **** in 3 threads, especially if one has had people attempting to help. It clutters up the forum with fodder making it harder to find threads with useful information. An admin can delete the other 2

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Seems like it would be best to rule out the simplest thing first so my suggestion would rule out one of your two guesses.
:flipthebird:

Last edited:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Maybe a bad injector dumping fuel?? Have you done a fuel pressure check

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would check fuel pressure, compression test, and ohm out all your injectors. If one is just pouring liquid fuel it can hydro lock your engine and kill it

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hughesevan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Yes it only has filter in tank there's no inline fuel filter on the 99 Ram 1500