AC cuts out when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C2ndLTpigeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.2L
Wanted to see if anyone might know why my AC cuts out when i accelerate usually above 2000 RPM, then when i let of the gas when im up to speed the AC kicks in. Is this normal? Or a problem.

My truck is a 1999 Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2 Auto trans if that helps
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
problem.. if it stops blowing out the vent on the dash when you accelerate but the fan keeps running, it maybe a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
C2ndLTpigeon

C2ndLTpigeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.2L
My dad had mentioned it might be that. Anywhere i should start looking on particular?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Start under the hood around the passenger side of the intake, there are small plastic and rubber lines that control accessory functions like vent selection/cruise/4x4 actuation.

himwest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are two check valves in the vacuum line on passenger side of the intake, one of them might be bad. Here is the dorman part number 47170.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So am I reading this properly, it stops blowing, or does it stop blowing cold?

If it stop blowing, then the posters above me are dead on, its a VAC leak and the vents are going to home position which is usually defrost.

If it just warms up, then the circuit for the compressor is somehow getting activated to early as with most vehicle it will shut off the A/C compressor at higher rpms for performance gain.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
So am I reading this properly, it stops blowing, or does it stop blowing cold?

If it stop blowing, then the posters above me are dead on, its a VAC leak and the vents are going to home position which is usually defrost.

If it just warms up, then the circuit for the compressor is somehow getting activated to early as with most vehicle it will shut off the A/C compressor at higher rpms for performance gain.
That could point to a compressor issue, but modem compressors on our trucks are internally regulated swash plate type compressors. They should adjust and stay engaged even at 5krpm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That could point to a compressor issue, but modem compressors on our trucks are internally regulated swash plate type compressors. They should adjust and stay engaged even at 5krpm.

All the way back on a 99! I learn something new everyday.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
All the way back on a 99! I learn something new everyday.
If it's aftermarket it might be fixed displacement, but OEM and all current replacement are variable displacement.