Another "should I buy" thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure
Hey folks, I'm thinking about buying a Ram to go to work back & forth about 8 miles every day. I'm interested in this ram for $1200.
Owner says it passes emissions. I'm not sure if it has the 5.2 or 5.9. I've owned classic Mopars but this is my first truck. I don't *need* a vehicle at the moment and so my budget ($1700 or less) reflects more want than need.

dodge truck 1200$ no less

Seems very cheap. He says it shifts through all gears and has all its paperwork. Was wondering what you fine people had to say about this.

Thank you for all of your input. Please be brutally honest :)

For reference I'm also looking at this one.. I'm not worried about the paint

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4224452753.html

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Exterior is a bit rough, but for $1200 it's about average. The truck appears to have been a dealer conversion (read: luxury truck ($$$)) back in its day. Back seat is leather/vinyl and the front seats likely fell apart, which is why they are cloth. All the wood was there from the dealer.

I say go drive it, make sure it doesn't get above 205 on the temp gauge, make sure it shifts smooth, if not a tad firmly, doesn't smoke, doesn't rattle etc.

Also read this:

http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

OP
OP
C

ColoradoMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure
Dodge Dude. Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I know how annoying these threads are. I will definitely keep my eye on the temp gauge. Thanks for the link!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No problem. What better place to get advice on a truck you're looking to buy than an enthusiasts forum?!

As for your second link you posted, it might be a decent truck, but you'd get more truck with the first one you posted.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Like mentioned above, for $1200. you can't expect much. Can't expect brand new tires. Brand new brakes. As far as the truck as it is, as long as it's not overheating, the motor's solid, and the tranny's solid and shifts smooth, it's worth $1200. bucks in my books.

By the way, if you decide to buy it tell the owner he can go ahead and fork the $1200.00 and I'll lay him some soil and some pretty grass so he has a lawn. hehe ;)