back to basics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
Hi guys, i am new in the ram world, i just got a 1996 ram runner 5.9 ( not the one that´s the raptor competitor ) it was a sport trimming limited edition that was offer in mexico ( where i live ).
the thing is that i want to have my truck as original as posible and there are a few things that are not working and maybe you can help me with that.
how can i make the buzzers from the ignition and lights on and seatbelts work again? there is no alarm whatsoever when i turn it on, no seatbelt alarm, no lights or key on noise. i want all the chimes and dimes back, please throw me some light on this

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would start by checking all your fuses.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First WELCOME to the group.. I am sure the gear heads will chim in soon to help! But I agree with checking the fuses. Then check any connections you can find. Please post what you find as you may help someone else :)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
There is no seat belt light/noise (i would know, i rarely use mine). Only real buzzing/chimes are if you leave the headlights on with the door open and things like that

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it depends on how they disabled the chime. i think the chime mechanism is in the fuse panel on a 96. most people usually disconnect the connector on the ignition switch. i have down a few. i don't really know anyone who likes them.
2aj5dso.jpg
34fdzpz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
There is no seat belt light/noise (i would know, i rarely use mine). Only real buzzing/chimes are if you leave the headlights on with the door open and things like that
Thanks, its good to know that. now i am only have to worry about the lights and keys on ignition!

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
i think it depends on how they disabled the chime. i think the chime mechanism is in the fuse panel on a 96. most people usually disconnect the connector on the ignition switch. i have down a few. i don't really know anyone who likes them.
2aj5dso.jpg
34fdzpz.jpg
if tha was the case, where can i buy the chime piece? auto zone?

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
2aj5dso.jpg
34fdzpz.jpg
well i just took a look and i think you're right, the part is not there. i guess i am gonna take a look at the junkyards this weekend

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
and i think the worst part is that might be a 94-96 part. if you can find one from a 91-93 i think it might work also since the connector looks the same. you could also try looking at dakota's or ram vans of the same 91-96 range. they may have one also and be easier and more common to come accross.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There is a seatbelt light, but no chime (thank heavens) I never buckled in when I was working security on industrial complexes and I would get in and out a lot.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
2aj5dso.jpg
34fdzpz.jpg
Hi, sorry to bother you but, i found a buzzer, same part number as the one in the picture, i put it in the fuse box dut nothing happened, is there a way to test it outside the car?
maybe i should tighten the conectors in the fuse box, if that was the case, how can i remove the fuse box?
finally, where is the connector on the ignition switch?
i will really apreciate all the help you can give me, thanks in advance

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i am not sure how you would test it. if you got a wiring diagram you could possibly test it will a multi meter or with some power. there is a connector on the bottom of the ignition switch. you have to remove the plastic around the ignition switch to see if it is connected or not.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
i am not sure how you would test it. if you got a wiring diagram you could possibly test it will a multi meter or with some power. there is a connector on the bottom of the ignition switch. you have to remove the plastic around the ignition switch to see if it is connected or not.

I feel betrayed, yesterday y took a picture from the back part of the fuse box only to find out there is no clamps or wires connected to anything, how is this posible?
is it posible that the truck came out without the buzzer option?

here is a picture, maybe you can give more info regarding this.

Attachments

• IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 28

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
looks like you have one of them trucks that got the mexican twist or maybe they changed something in 96. i really don't know what to say. i am guessing they may they just didn't use them just like your truck has TBI instead of the MPFI that is used on all the other 93 and newer rams made for the north american market.