Balance beads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Yes, We can buy the right beads.
But why?
See people using Air Soft beads and such. It works.
I have access to free steel shot for the massive automated blaster at work. The machine is 8' wide, 15' tall and 50' feet long. Not that it matters.
But several ounces in each tire should smooth things out.

Thoughts?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The only problem I see with steel shot is the possibility for it to cause damage to the wheel if they are tumbling. Essentially over time their coating will rub off and they will start to disintegrate, as soon as they start that it, may act like a really big rock tumbler. There is a chance that they could cause extra wear on the belts due to not deforming and instead 'dent' into the rubber and belts. Whereas the airbead things will break down instead of breaking the tire down as they are soft and sacrificial.

That is all speculation, it may be just fine, it may not. However, I do know that if your tire ever blows out going down the highway, I wouldnt want to be near you when that steel shot flies in every direction.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Beads are a ****** way to balance a tire. Seriously, this isn't 1963 anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
The only problem I see with steel shot is the possibility for it to cause damage to the wheel if they are tumbling.

1. By 30mph they should be pretty much stationary.

Essentially over time their coating will rub off and they will start to disintegrate, as soon as they start that it, may act like a really big rock tumbler.

2. No coating to rub off. They are steel balls about 1/16 diameter.

There is a chance that they could cause extra wear on the belts due to not deforming and instead 'dent' into the rubber and belts. Whereas the airbead things will break down instead of breaking the tire down as they are soft and sacrificial.

3. They're just tiny. Possible but not probable.

That is all speculation, it may be just fine, it may not. However, I do know that if your tire ever blows out going down the highway, I wouldn't want to be near you when that steel shot flies in every direction.

4. Being that they're so small I would see it being less harmful than a stone hitting your windshield

I'm thinking I may try it.
Good point about it not being 1963.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was having a hell of a time balancing my larger tires on my 1500. I went with Dyna Beads. Smooth a silk now. Also I like the idea that the tires will never go out of balance for the whole life of the tires.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I was having a hell of a time balancing my larger tires on my 1500. I went with Dyna Beads. Smooth a silk now. Also I like the idea that the tires will never go out of balance for the whole life of the tires.

I've known people with 44's putting golf balls in. But that's just weird.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We put tennis balls in the big rig tires on the rig and trailers. It's a old truckers trick since them things don't get balanced.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see alot of the shops use bead bags.... some of the old timers still like tennis balls... on some of the farm trucks with steel wheels we toss them in... the alum we balance

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also have the dynabeads in the front and back tire of my motorcycle. Smooth as silk. I have no exterior weights on the motorcycle wheels, much cleaner look.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
EDIT:
Must stop posting when tired. Evil GoFishn comes out and tries to play.

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I wouldn't use steel beads. Until centrifugal force is great enough for the beads to become stationary in the tire, they're going to tumble and shot peen the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk