Brake warning light and temp gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Hey everyone! Been driving my 99 V10 4x4 for a while now and I'm starting to tend to some of its issues. Just got done changing the ball joints, rotors and axle u-joints a few hours ago.

Question 1: Ever since I've had it, the "Brake" warning light has been on. ABS light is not on. All of the threads I've found only cover when both lights are on, so I don't know where to start.

My question is, where should I start looking and what should I look for? Not sure what could cause it other than maybe air in the lines.

Question 2: My temp gauge stays on or just above the 130 degree mark all the time. I'm wondering if maybe my sender or gauge is bad. If the sender is bad, I suppose it would be giving false information to the computer, which in turn would cause a rich condition. I don't have a CEL, and the truck runs great, but gets worse mileage than I think it should (6 MPG). Thought maybe this could contribute to the issue. Any advice?

Thanks everyone!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Air the lines would be felt in the pedal. Possible a sensor but I'm not quite sure from there

Temp gauge sounds like it could be thermostat stuck open. That or yeah possibly sender. 6mpg could be pcm over fueling for low temp

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Brakes are a little spongy after the brake job, so i'll be bleeding them, but it's always been on. Had to open the system because when I went to put the passenger side brake pads on, even with the piston completely compressed I lacked close to 1/4 inch of being able to fit them over the rotor. Long story short, someone had put a dana 44 caliper on my dana 60 knuckle and it was physically smaller.

I guess I'll have to have someone plug a scanner into it to see whether it's getting up to temp. When I changed my engine, I reused the thermostat because the parts stores couldn't get one quick enough. I remember it opening just fine when I filled it up, but I'll check to see if there's flow in the radiator when its cold. I'd be surprised if it were stuck open, though.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Well, I went to Oreilly's today to see if their scanner would show engine temp, and it wouldn't. It did, however, find 4 codes pertaining to the brakes. Pics are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
I'll have to get one of those. I'll have to use it on my PC since I don't have an android, but that'll be ok.

Now onto the brake issue... I guess ill start replacing sensors until the codes go away.

Edit: Scanner will be here Monday. Apparently they don't read ABS codes, but it'll help with my temp issue.

Last edited: