Broken passenger side front axle/ujoint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hockeyadc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
So during this latest winter storm, I ended up breaking the ujoint completely out of the front axle, which then also broke the yoke that holds it in place. I have two questions:

1. What is a good replacement axle for this? Can I use a CV or something without a ujoint?

2. Is it safe to drive like this until I get the replacement axle as long as I don't use 4wd? I am inclined to say yes just because the short end of the shaft is still connected with the axle bolt, so I shouldn't be in and concern for losing my wheel. The only thing is it makes a huge racket.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So during this latest winter storm, I ended up breaking the ujoint completely out of the front axle, which then also broke the yoke that holds it in place. I have two questions:

1. What is a good replacement axle for this? Can I use a CV or something without a ujoint?

2. Is it safe to drive like this until I get the replacement axle as long as I don't use 4wd? I am inclined to say yes just because the short end of the shaft is still connected with the axle bolt, so I shouldn't be in and concern for losing my wheel. The only thing is it makes a huge racket.

I would say just get very heavy duty u joints for when you replace them. And you might as well replace them both for good measure.

OP
OP
H

hockeyadc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well actually, I have to replace the entire axle shaft.... The yokes where the ujoint connects are also broken.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Well actually, I have to replace the entire axle shaft.... The yokes where the ujoint connects are also broken.

Well just get all heavy duty components why you go to replace them all.

I made that mistake with my track bar. Bought one form orielys a little over a year ago and I think its already in the *******.

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I would not drove it,no your wheel can't fall off but the axle shaft is now only supported be either the inner bearing by the diff or the plastic bushing if it's the passenger side. And it will most likely ruin your seal and probably the bearings of you drive with it flipping around in the housing lol.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Yes, you can drive it. But, remove your intermediate axle and outer stub and stuff a rag in the hole. Very temporary.
Seal is already ******.
Stock auto wrecker axle, two new u-joints, two new seals is my minimum fix. Plus new oil.
Just did that to mine a couple weeks back. Took a solid 10 hrs. 4 hours just replacing the two seals.
Upgrade? Available. But...

26.39" Axle Assembly
Front Passenger Side Axle Assembly by Yukon Gear & Axle®. Size: 26.39". Yukon axles provide up to 50% increased strength over stock axles for use in extreme performance applications with large tires and high horsepower. Yukon's axles are manufactured using the latest technologies and the highest quality materials to ensure high strength and long life. Limited Lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects and axle breakage for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty is not transferable to another party.
Fitment Notes: Fits Models with ABS.
●In Stock - Ships within 24 hours
$494.48

Yukon Gear & Axle® - Axle Assembly
YAD76812-1X
26.39" Axle Assembly
Front Passenger Side Axle Assembly by Yukon Gear & Axle®. Size: 26.39". Yukon axles provide up to 50% increased strength over stock axles for use in extreme performance applications with large tires and high horsepower. Yukon's axles are manufactured using the latest technologies and the highest quality materials to ensure high strength and long life. Limited Lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects and axle breakage for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty is not transferable to another party.
Fitment Notes: Fits Models withiut ABS.
$478.44

YAD74760-1X
Axle Assembly
Front Driver Side Axle Assembly by Yukon Gear & Axle®. With inner axle measures 20.1" and axle measures 27". Yukon axles provide up to 50% increased strength over stock axles for use in extreme performance applications with large tires and high horsepower. Yukon's axles are manufactured using the latest technologies and the highest quality materials to ensure high strength and long life. Limited Lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects and axle breakage for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty is not transferable to another party.
Fitment Notes: Fits Models with ABS.
$312.01

YAD76813-1X
Axle Assembly
Front Driver Side Axle Assembly by Yukon Gear & Axle®. With inner axle measures 20.1" and axle measures 27". Yukon axles provide up to 50% increased strength over stock axles for use in extreme performance applications with large tires and high horsepower. Yukon's axles are manufactured using the latest technologies and the highest quality materials to ensure high strength and long life. Limited Lifetime warranty covers manufacturing defects and axle breakage for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty is not transferable to another party.
Fitment Notes: Fits Models without ABS.
$390.82

Assuming you have a 1500.
If 2500 then

RCV Performance® - Ultimate 300M CV Axle Set
$2,800.33
Dodge Ram 2001, Ultimate 300M CV Axle Set by RCV Performance®. RCV Performance Products Ultimate 300M CV Axles for Dodge D-60 Disconnect were designed at the request of champion off road racers. These are the folks that run crazy power, catch lots of air, and stay on the throttle until something pops. They wanted the smoothness of RCV Ultimate CV axles with additional strength to handle major league abuse. RCV came to their rescue with Ultimate CV Axles made from 300M alloy steel. RCV Ultimate 300M CV Axles easily replace universal jointed front axle shafts, and turn a Dana 60 into an animal. The CV joint design eliminates u-joint binding, so power can be smoothly put to the ground during technical maneuvers. It gets rid of steering wheel shimmy too. The axles are just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where u-jointed axles are at their weakest. Keeping all this strength and smoothness protected is RCV's patented Spherical Sealing Technology which provides much greater resistance to punctures and tears than a rubber CV boot. Ultimate 300M CV Axles are backed with a "No Questions Asked" limited lifetime warranty. Axle set includes right and left CV axle shafts, SST seals and installation tool, installation instructions, synthetic moly grease, and installation hardware. Black oxide coating is standard. Optional nickel plating is available for extra corrosion resistance in salty environments - contact us for details, or use our Custom Axle Configuration Form.

Or...

RCV Performance® - Ultimate CV Axle Set
$2,184.84
Dodge Ram 2001, Ultimate CV Axle Set by RCV Performance®. RCV Performance Ultimate CV Axles simply replace your Dodge D60 Disco's weak U-joint axle shafts with a high-strength constant velocity design. Tests prove Ultimate CV Axles to be twice as strong as OEM axle shafts, and they're just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where U-joints are weakest. Ultimate CV Axles also eliminate U-joint binding to allow smooth transfer power to the ground. Even if you have big tires and big power there are no worries. Ultimate CV Axles are low maintenance and operate with a smoothness you can feel - whether off road or on the street. And we back it all with a "No Questions Asked" limited lifetime warranty. Axle set includes right and left CV axle shafts, SST seals and installation tool, installation instructions, synthetic moly grease, and installation hardware. Black oxide coating is standard. Optional nickel plating is available for extra corrosion resistance in salty environments - contact us for details, or use our Custom Axle Configuration Form.

Choices are available.