Build ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok so here are just some ideas I'm rolling around for a build I am hoping to start soon. I have a 99 1500 4x4 with 5.9 360. I either want to build it, sell it buy a 2500 cummins, or get a 2500 and swap in a 6.7 cummins. Which ever I do it will be a 2nd gen quad cab because I have some body ideas I will be doing. I just wanted to know what thoughts and opinions everyone had. I know a lot of time and money.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drop the Cummins in the 1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
My opinion, sell it and get a 2500 with a Cummins, it easy and already done for you, then all your work will be in the body and tuning/building the Cummins.

OR

If you're willing to do the work to get a 6.7 in a 2500, why not just buy a 12 valve build it the way you want, and drop it in your 1500. The only real difference between the 1500 and the 2500 is the springs and rear axle. Its easy to swap in a pair of V10/Cummins coil springs in the front and put a 5 leaf pack in the rear next to swapping from a 360 to CumminsTD. (Also, only go with the 5.9 if it has or you're adding a turbo, diesels just don't have a good kick without one IMO.)

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It will definitely be turbo dudeman that's the only to have a diesel. My reason for even thinking about the 6.7 cummins is i can get a second gen with the 5.9 cummins so why reinvent the wheel by dropping one in my 1500 when the 6.7 didn't come in them. Just my thoughts on the cummins conversion. But that is a good idea to use the 1500 for the swap just wasn't sure the frame would hold up I always heard they weren't as strong as the 2500 frames.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
It will definitely be turbo dudeman that's the only to have a diesel. My reason for even thinking about the 6.7 cummins is i can get a second gen with the 5.9 cummins so why reinvent the wheel by dropping one in my 1500 when the 6.7 didn't come in them. Just my thoughts on the cummins conversion. But that is a good idea to use the 1500 for the swap just wasn't sure the frame would hold up I always heard they weren't as strong as the 2500 frames.

Build wise the ladders are just about the same. I think the 2500s have an extra crossmember or two, wouldn't be hard to add. Its also possible that the tail of the frame by the rear bumper is full box instead of C channel. But thats not too important, it's easy to fix with a welder and some well placed plate steel.

Do you have 4wd or 2wd? I cant remember if you'd have to replace the front hubs on the 2wd variants, but if its 4wd you might consider replacing the Dana 44 front axle with a dana 60 if you plan on doing much off roading that's more than dirt roads and campground trails. Otherwise the Dana 44 would do just fine. You'll have to much around with driveshaft lengths, but thats a given with an engine + trans swap.

As for actually putting one in a 1500, i'd only do that if you have the highline model with all the features and cant find a 2500 CTD with all the features. I for example won't give up power windows and locks, premium cloth seats (I cant stand the non bucket front seats) I won't go with anything but the extended cab with suicide doors, If its not the sport model, i'm not interested (love my the lights and bumper), Cruise is a must as well. Heated mirrors are nice but not a deal breaker, 4x4 is nice but not a deal breaker. Thats me, you might not care, but i've yet to see a CTD in the whole of lower Michigan that has what I personally require in my truck.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
6.7 in a 2nd gen has been done and quite well actually. Look up diesel power challenge 2015 on YouTube, one of the participants ran a 2nd gen with a high power 6.7

Myself, I'm not a huge 6.7 fan of you're trying to make raw power because the 5.9 cranks are stronger. But a 5.9 crank in 6.7 block to make a 6.4....put that baby in a 2nd gen...helllll yeah

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dudeman mine is 4x4 Lamaramie fully loaded and I agree with the suicide doors in back I'm not much of a fan for full four door trucks. Have to have the extended cab kids have to fit lol. And that's a great idea dapepper I'll look into to crank swap. And I know the 6.7 swap has been done but it was never factory that way is what I was meaning. Axels I was thinking 60/70 or maybe 70/80 this will be a dd, work hauler and weekend off-road toy so which setup would be good for that with the swap?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah wasn't trying to deter you or anything. Would be a cool build. For your plans, nothing wrong with staying 6.7 and it would be less work. Going 6.4 is more of a high power setup thing.

I would go 60/70 myself. Since you plan on doing some mild offroading the 70 will give you more clearance

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If you can get a 70 for about the same price as a 60, get the 70 for reasons Dapepper listed. However, if its gonna be a little more for the 70 then you want to spend and you can get a 60 for a good price, you wont really miss much, not for what sounds like pretty tame off roading. You can just get a couple inches of axle or body lift and put 35-37s on there and be set for pretty much anything short of rock trails. Not that i'd ever take a pickup for more than you'd find on trails in national parks for example.

I agree, i'd just about kill for a 6.4. Personally, if I had to choose between the 5.9 and 6.7, i'd go with the 5.9. You can make plenty of power with a decent amount of upgrades and tuning. But, I value rock solid unwavering reliability over moderate or even double the power increase.
Just my own little bit, I always hear people saying the 5.9CTDs were way more durable than the 5.9 gas, and the 5.9 gas and 5.2 gas are functionally identical, and my old 5.2 was an absolute beast on its deathbed. It got me the last 30 miles home pulling an enclosed trailer 70mph down the highway with absolutely no oil. I can't imagine how tough the 5.9CTD is if it beats that.

OP
OP
S

superman042388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok dapepper that's what I needed to know not clearance sounds good to me lol. And dudeman I agree with you my 5.9 gas has 272k still going strong never had major work until my transmission clutch packs wore out but motor wise nothing wrong yet.