buying 1995 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youngblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
I know im sure this newb question gets asked a lot but im having a hard time finding any info searching. Im looking at a 1995 5.9 V8 tomarow. 4x4 automatic 160k miles. I believe its a 1500, could be 2500 though. I know the basic's to look for when buying a used vehicle, but anything specific to this model? It has a lift kit, anything to look for in that. Had a few lifted cherokee's that I built, but anything specific to the Dodge's suspenion? Thanks in advance

Edit: Forgot to add this will be a DD and used as a mild wheeler while Im building my jeep. I'll only put about 300 miles a month on it so not to worried about MPG

Last edited:

Georges98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know im sure this newb question gets asked a lot but im having a hard time finding any info searching. Im looking at a 1995 5.9 V8 tomarow. 4x4 automatic 160k miles. I believe its a 1500, could be 2500 though. I know the basic's to look for when buying a used vehicle, but anything specific to this model? It has a lift kit, anything to look for in that. Had a few lifted cherokee's that I built, but anything specific to the Dodge's suspenion? Thanks in advance

Hey! Hows it going?

Well I know the rams have a few weak suspension points/Wear out sooner then later, and steering can be off. The other guys will know more about that.

The trans is a weak link in these trucks, I have 135k on mine and no issues (knock on wood) but I know a bunch of fellas hae had work done on them. Make sure its pink not burt etc etc.

Stick a flash light down the throttle body butterfly and look for pooled oil. Thats a sign of a bad Plenum Gasket. You can search that topic for more info on replacing. also you can check to see if the Plenum plate is Aluminum that means it has been replaced.

Check cab mounts, floors lower fenders rear arches for rust if thats a concern to you. Rockers as well. I think the 4x4 on these is Vacuum operated so if inoperable start there. Check the U-Joints I had to replace mine.

Hope I helped a little!!

George

OP
OP
Y

youngblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Thanks! Ive heard the trannys are bad on these trucks, Ill check the fluid and how she shifts. Do you know what causes the tranny problems or if they are hard to find used?

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
George pretty much nailed it as far as it goes. The sloppy steering has to do with the seal going out on the steering gear box I believe many of these trucks have experienced that. Mine has and sadly I've gotten used to it :( def check the can corners an all of the underside of the body for rust. One mistake I think I made but that doesn't stop it from driving and I got a good deal on mine.

I've also had no problems yet with my tranny but had a buddy go through two on hi old one so def something to keep an eye on. And u joints are next on my list of things to replace.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Inspect ball joints as well, common thing to be found needing replacement on the 2nd gens.

Georges98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem!

I really don't think you'll have a problem finding a trans if need be, these trucks are pretty much everywhere, and a good Transmission Man shouldn't have a problem rebuilding one.

They have their quirks and issues, but they are fun, good trucks. I'd go buy 3 more today if I could

George

OP
OP
Y

youngblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Well looks like Im getting the truck! Owner had years of receipts, including a full tranny and rear axle rebuild. Frame was straight, had alittle surface rust, gonna 3mm spray it down. 1 oil leak that dripped onto the engine crossmember, didnt look bad. Lift was add-a-leafs in rear, new coils and control arms front. Ball joints looked good, they have been replaced it looks like. Also has new tires, brakes, and sterio. The rear driver door had some rust under the trim, and the steering is alittle loose, gonna replace it with a heavy duty setup anyways! Thanks for the help cant wait to cut this thing up and get it on the trail!