Buying filter/gasket for 46RE trans - Felt filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey all. Planning on dropping the pan on my 46RE in my 1997 Ram 2500 V8 to clean it out and change the fluid/filter. Im having some trouble finding a good filter/gasket combo, however, i came across this one here:

Dodge A518 46RE 47RE Oil Filter Service Kit Felt Filter w Cork Pan Gasket | eBay

I hear a cork gasket is good, but im not sure about the felt filter. Any good? Can somebody shed some light on that for me?

Thanks a bunch.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I honestly could not tell you. Personally I got a Wix filter and rubber gasket locally and they've served me well.

Well...sort of, but that's another story. :D

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
I honestly could not tell you. Personally I got a Wix filter and rubber gasket locally and they've served me well.

Well...sort of, but that's another story. :D

Haha, alright...im curious still. Do you think I should just get a Wix one and be done with it?

KenBerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I like Wix filters and FelPro gaskets.

When I changed mine last month I also replaced the pan with a deeper (extra capacity) model that has a drain plug in it. Maybe next time I will, for the first time in my life, manage to get more of the old fluid into the bucket than I spill on the floor.