Can't lock doors from outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
When I bought my truck used I later found out that I can't lock or unlock the driver door. The key goes in the lock but won't turn.... Then in the passenger side there is no key lock in the door just a hole where it used to be.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be froze/rusted up. Tried a regiment of (insert favorite ruse penetrant) for a couple days? Usually if it is the correct lock/door they will work free. If not they can be disassembled and cleaned. Or replaced. Easy to do and rekey to your key as well.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id be willing to bet that the lock and/or door is not original to the truck so it does not match the ignition key.

Also if the key is not the original, but a spare it may not unlock the door. My truck has two keys but only one unlocks the door because the other is too short. Can you pull your key out of the ignition while the truck is running ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Also if the key is not the original, but a spare it may not unlock the door. My truck has two keys but only one unlocks the door because the other is too short. Can you pull your key out of the ignition while the truck is running ?

I'll try this tonight when I head off to work

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L

I tried it but it did not come out

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then I would suggest merc's idea as the statements above about not being the stock door locks, are probably true since your key is the original for your ign

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many possible causes for this. But sounds like one of the locks was busted out and the truck was broken into at one time. The ignition was possibly damaged and replaced. And the door was not rekeyed to match the new ignition.