CB Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Alright, well I know this site is for rams...but Id imagine theres someone on here that can either tell me what I can do, or at least tell me where I can go for help on my CB. Its a Cobra MCB-100 40 channel with a "no-ground" Radioshack antenna mounted to the toolbox of my truck. The CB does recieve, but when transmitting, the other person's CB gets a whistle/beep. Ive tried switchin mics, didnt work. Im kinda leanin toward the antenna. Id let to get a Wilson 5 foot mirror mount and mount it on my toolbox in the same spot as the current one..

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't had a CB in a long time, but have you tried to tune it on an SWR meter? I had a cheap antenna and ditched it for a magnetic mount K40 and had no problems. Is your tool box aluminum or stainless?

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I haven't had a CB in a long time, but have you tried to tune it on an SWR meter? I had a cheap antenna and ditched it for a magnetic mount K40 and had no problems. Is your tool box aluminum or stainless?

My dad has an SWR Meter in the garage. Never really thought about tryin that but I guess I should before I go investin money in a new antenna. Idk that I want the magnetic mount bc my dads got a Wilson 5000 magnetic on the rof of his 04 Ram and its fallen off before if he hits low branches. I think ill try stickin with the toolbox mount. And my toolbox is aluminum mounted to the bed rails of the truck.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
SWR it and make sure your delta tune is at the mid way point .

I would recommend a better antenna also . I have had a wilson 5k and now running dual fire sticks .

Have you had the CB peaked and tuned yet ?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
oooo def get it tweaked! We talked to people in Oklahoma at night with 4 ft steel antennas hahaha it was awesome

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
SWR it and make sure your delta tune is at the mid way point .

I would recommend a better antenna also . I have had a wilson 5k and now running dual fire sticks .

Have you had the CB peaked and tuned yet ?
Nope, didnt get that done yet. I dont have any CB Shops by me here in NEPA except for Bobs CB Shop, but that 3 hours away lol If I could, Id like to send it to a shop and then have them tune it and everything and have it sent back to me through the mail. How much do you think Id be lookin at to get it tweaked?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
IMO, don't send it out to be bench tuned, it should be tuned in the vehicle...

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Yup your swr's need adjusted. You deffenitly need a better antenna like Ramhunter said.
Yeah I think Im gonna order a Wilson 4 foot antenna tonight. The other one broke when I tried adjustin it, but it wasnt a good quality antenna anyway...

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Oh, and i did the SWR reading. The readings were way off the chart (inefficient) so the new antenna is definately on the list of things to buy now.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
you can pick up an SWR meter on ebay for around $20 to tune your antenna with, if you dont have one...

And keep in mind, the coax, mount and antenna all act as one unit...so dont just assume you antenna is bad when tuning...it could be any of the 3.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Ok thanks guys. i think Im gonna order a Wilson FGT 4 foot antenna. Its $24.95 + S&H and it mounts in the same spot as the antenna I have now. Its either that, or a FireStik. Im not sure which would be better though.