Common things to examine when buying a '98.5 24V?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998.5 SLT Larmie 2500
Engine
Cummins ISB 24v
Hello,

New to the forums here and I am about to purchase my first Cummins-powered Dodge. Been a Dodge fan for years, and finally came across the exact Ram 2500 I've been looking for.

The truck in question:

- 1998.5 RAM 2500
- 24v Cummins
- 5-speed
- Regular cab, long-box, 4x4
- SLT Laramie P/W, P/L, A/C

Now here is a list of modifications, fixes and upgrades the current owner says were done to the truck within the previous 6 months:

- Ball joints (driver side)
- Track bar
- Front brake pads, rotors
- Front driveshaft U-joints
- CPS
- 4" exhaust with MBRP muffler and 5" tip
- Raptor lift pump
- Clutch (throw out bearing, pilot bearing)
- Quadzilla XZT+

I'd really like to make sure I'm buying a quality truck here, and be able to barter with him based on my findings. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on these trucks, and passed my normal inspection of used trucks, I am looking for things that may be specific to this model and year.

Things I know I should look for when inspecting this vehicle:
(mainly Dodge specific things, not gunna list obvious things you look at when buying a used truck)

- Identify basic front-end related issues (look for ball-joint play, check rubbers, etc)
- Check to see if it has the original motor, and hasn't been blown and swapped for a #53-block(unlikely, but still worth checking)
- Identify turbo type (likely the HX35) and check for shaft-play
- Look for large patches of rust on the frame or other structurally important areas (truck is winter driven, so I am expecting SOME rust)
- ****** 5th gear during test drive to feel for anything funny
- Confirm upgrades and modifications have been done per what the owner said

If anyone here has any suggestions, big/small/whatever, on things I may want to look out for when buying this truck, please give a reply.

Thanks a bunch,

Kyle

P.S: Would also like to know from some of the northern 2nd gen owners, where are some common rust spots on these things? The only area I'm really worried about being rusted out are rocker panels and frame. The body looks pretty okay from the pictures, but pictures alone can be deceiving .

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It seems like you have it all down. The rockers, cab corners and around the rear wheel wells are te common rust spots.
When it comes down to it it never hurts to have a mechanic chek it out. Put it to work. ask for details on the clutch, they are only rated for so much horsepower and will slip like no other if you put to much to them

Last edited:

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
98.5-2000 also had issues with what was called the "53" block.

It was a early casting of the 24v blocks ONLY that had very thin walls and would crack under stress load.The crack would appear along the passenger side of the oil pan rail and run back to front once they did crack.There is a Chrysler settlement class action style which just came out for those who replaced them already(its a small cash offer one time only).

OP
OP
Kyle

Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998.5 SLT Larmie 2500
Engine
Cummins ISB 24v
98.5-2000 also had issues with what was called the "53" block.

I was under the impression that they only used #53 blocks from '99-'01. Have people found #53's in there 98.5?

Got some more pictures of the truck based on Stangshcky12's advice(thanks, btw). There are a couple other rust spots, but these are the only two spots that go through. I do plan on bedliner-ing the bottom of the cab and bed, so patching these won't be too much of an issue, right?

1000178t.jpg

1000177h.jpg