converting to 4x4 from 4x2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buffalo joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
1500 laramie Slt 4x2 1999
Engine
5.2 /318 magnum
Hello i have a 2nd gen ram 1500 quad cab i bought it 4x2. i bought 4x4 system complete i was wondering if i could just install the system or if the more to it

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
You'd have to torch the front suspention off and weld 4x4 suspension on. Change the tranny and pcm and wire harness. Your better off selling the truck and buying a 4x4 or trading to a 4x4

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2wd frame needs extensive modification to meet the requirements of a 4wd set-up. Then the front suspension (ALL of it) has to be replaced by 4wd suspension. The front differential gear ratio must match the rear differential gear ratio. The steering system has be to from a 4wd truck (integrated into the suspension and front axle assembly). The transmission is different in a 4wd truck to accommodate a transfer case all of which your 2wd wiring harness and computer and not set up for. Then there is a laundry list of minor details (plumbing, vacuum lines, transfer case shifter install, cross member, drive shafts, u-joints, etc.).
The long and short of it is... It is far more economical to sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd truck than it is to do the extremely complicated and time consuming conversion. Not trying to rain on your parade, just want you to be fully informed of the task you are considering.

OP
OP
B

buffalo joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
1500 laramie Slt 4x2 1999
Engine
5.2 /318 magnum
wow okay thank ive had this truck so long guess ill just leave it as it is :emotions133: I would probly spend the same of a 4x4 or more bythe time im done

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah definitely better off to just buy a 4x4. Time, effort and money required to do this is just not worth it.