cooling system trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys long time no see. I finally got my grandpas 95 ram he passed away in 05 and the trucks been sitting for 3 yrs today I got it from my uncle. Truck runs good but cooling system is weird It did this when my uncle parked it to.

No heat and gauge is eratic sometimes almost overheating then back down to 180ish. There are no leaks . Also the upper rad hose is good and hot lower not at all. Heater hoses are the same way passenger side one is hot the other one is not. The upper hose at one point was collapsing as well. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
agreed, replace thermostat, burp the system. if your still having problems, then flush system, heater core, and check the water pump.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
T stat has just been done by me and still having the issue. How can I check the water pump ? I let it run for several minutes with heater on and cap off.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
best way is to remove check the fins are still there if they arent there that would be the time you replace every hose and run a water hose throught every thing but check the sensor for corrosion probally needs flush

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I now have heat I ran a cleaner through it but the cooling system doesnt seem very dirty. So i switched the inlet coolant line with the outlet. And hooking the inlet into the outlet of the core caused it to push the air pocket out which made a mess but it worked. For sitting for 3 yrs I got to tell you this truck is great. Ive owned ford and chevy. I liked my chevys and fords but the dodge as faras sound and power is great.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea she sure is resilient. It shifts into gear kinda hard im hoping a fresh fluid change will fix that. Doesnt slip or anything though.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree and I am money is just tight with my wifes baby shower and all. I got the fluid and filter and hope to do it tomorrow. Along with plugs ill probably do cap and rotor to. And brake fluid.
Any certain powersteering fluid these take?

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I ask because i own a little civic its a great car but its specific on everything.nothing is just easy.

The ram is doing good im surprised it runs as good as it does with old gas.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The manual says use mopar ps fluid not atf fluid. So it's up to you. These trucks don't seem finicky.

Maybe someone else will put in there $0.02

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Yeah don't ever use ATF in any power steering pump, the ATF will slowly eat the seals.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well transmission fluid has been changed. Bad news however the drive side rear plug broke off in the head!! I sprayed lubricating oil on all of them but this one was turning and then the hex head snapped off the plug. Any way to get this out?