Cracking/ticking noise when 4x4 is engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh2425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In a little bit of mud this weekend 4x4 was on and I pulled out on to the road going about 30( I say this because on another forum it says that it can cause problems) only drove for about a minute then pulled back off on to a dirt road and soon after I turned the steering wheel and it makes an very bad sounding click or crack. When the 4x4 is turned off it goes away and also only goes when I'm moving. Just dropped 2 grand into this truck on a leaking manifold new M/T tires and brakes. Also the shop said my u joints are bad so that might be the cause. I'm just curious to see what you guys think before taking it back in.

OP
OP
J

josh2425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also it is a 01 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 With 96,000 miles

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
While the U-Joints could certainly be the cause and, hopefully that is the problem as that would a relatively cheap fix.

I believe our transfer cases are almost the same as Chevy, as such the chain/sprockets could be damaged. Or the part time clutch could be damaged.

I would give the U-Joints a good look over as thats the most likely cause.