Cummins issue, thinking about buying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I found a 97 dodge cummins 12v 4x4 runs perfect, but he said water has gotten in the oil and he parked it immediately, what would be the main cause, he said he thinks it's an oil cooler, iv never heard of an oil cooler on a 12v pickup, but I'm new to the diesel scene.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Water in oil on a diesel is usually caused by the oil cooler if it has one. I know Semis running Cummins engines have them, i'm not sure for the pickup guys. I'd get yourself a diesel compression tester, or rent one from an autozone or something and check it out. In my experience, the only thing that kills a Cummins head gasket, is being overheated. If thats the case, i'd borescope the thing to make sure there isn't damage on the pistons or cylinder wall.

Head gaskets are pretty easy on the Cummins compared to the powerstrokes or duramaxes, mostly because they are inline engines. The only thing to pay attention to that differs from a gasser, is the high pressure fuel injection pump and lines.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first thought was the head gaskets. Pretty much every time you get water mixing with oil, you have coolant somehow leaking into an oil passage, which is obviously not good. AS Dudeman mentioned, the oil cooler leaking could end up mixing the 2 on this. A friend of mine had a 98 Yukon that had an oil cooler that was part of the radiator. It cracked and was actually leaking oil into the radiator section, and there was oil in the radiator. He also got murky oil on the dipstick because of this and the intake manifold gaskets being shot. I had a 01 24 valve, but I never really took the time to learn much about them before I sold it. But I would investigate the oil cooler thing more, and I would go rent a block test tool from the local auto parts store in your area (autozone, o reillys, advance auto, napa, etc.). It looks like a turkey baster.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If it's in a high humidity area then short trips can accumulate water in the oil. The oil doesn't get up to temp to evaporate water from condensation. Take it on a good long drive to keep the oil hot for a bit and check it after. Really depends on how the oil looks too though. If it's grey throughout the system I'd change it before driving.

That's only if you're not replacing coolant. If you are, then check head gasket.

If you're looking to buy and this is your first it's looking like it could be a real bad decision that could cost you big bucks.

This is what I'm talking about anyway: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/0...attached.html#/topics/587910?page=1&_k=tp984r

Last edited: