Dash Cracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I had a crack in the dash on my 99 ram since like right after i bought it. Its gotten worse, and went across the whole dash from the defroster vent all the way to the passenger side air bag cover. A few weeks ago, I noticed another one that came in from the passenger side dash top mount under the windshield and its on its way to the air bag cover also, i tried to drill a small hole at the end of it, but it didnt seem to work. Is there anything I can do to stop it from goin any further? I dont want the carpet cover, dont like the looks of em and I dont really want to buy a new dash cover lol

Attachments

• dash cracks.jpg
    dash cracks.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 614

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like your only other alternative is JB weld then! lol

I replaced mine with one from the dealer back in 07. It uses upgraded ABS plastic that will not crack. However, for some reason it is really glossy which produces a bad glare. I hate the carpeted dash covers too, but I found a suede one by Dash Designs that looks pretty decent. I am happy with it.

IMG_20110517_145240-1.jpg

Rebel_Lady91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 dodge magnum 5.2L V8
my 97 has a bunch of big cracks on the dash like yours kyle but patrick i like that suede cover but i might have to try JB weld first to see how that works, good luck kyle on those cracks

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Man that's no good. I'm guessing this is caused by the sun? Maybe a sun reflector when its parked would prevent further degridation.

Don't dig carpet covers either.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Man that's no good. I'm guessing this is caused by the sun? Maybe a sun reflector when its parked would prevent further degridation.

Don't dig carpet covers either.

That and it's just a cheap junky dash they put on these year Dodges. Mine did the same and I just put a carpet cover over it and it looks pretty good imo. Plus I saved a ton of money

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yup I got a big crack in mine too. Split the dash in half. Sad thing is I would have to paint any new dash or buy one of the taxi cab dash mats.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Hmm, i never thought about using JB Weld. I think Im gonna try that and see what it does. And I do have one of those sun deflector things for my windshield, just never really use it lol I might have to start using it though at this rate...

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah you could always try the JB weld that's a good idea.. I wanna see it if you do go that route. the carpet is a cheap fix and it looks a helluva lot better. Here is the hole I had in my 2nd gen dash it was like a secret compartment lol

Dash003.jpg

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Yeah you could always try the JB weld that's a good idea.. I wanna see it if you do go that route. the carpet is a cheap fix and it looks a helluva lot better. Here is the hole I had in my 2nd gen dash it was like a secret compartment lol

Dash003.jpg
Wow! Thats terrible. I hope mine doesnt get that bad! I looked on google and found that silicone caulking will fill in the cracks also, im just not sure which one to do yet... lol

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could always get a coverlay if money permits, but i think the proper way to do is just to replace the dash with a new one eventually. My new one looks mint, but its really glossy. Not to mention when it gets real hot from sitting in the sun it likes to make little creaking and popping sounds while driving, the suede cover fixed most of that.