dash wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nautic76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
good morning I'm lookin for some information about electrical plugs the driver seat motor shorted out and the fuse did not pop causing the wiring to burn/melt
at the fuse junction block (to the right of the steering wheel interior) the orange plastic plug needs to be replaced and i cant seem to find one local dealership indicated that it is no longer available cant find a manufactures name on it like weatherpac or deutch dealer said google it or buy a harness any ideas thanks chuck

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
good morning I'm lookin for some information about electrical plugs the driver seat motor shorted out and the fuse did not pop causing the wiring to burn/melt
at the fuse junction block (to the right of the steering wheel interior) the orange plastic plug needs to be replaced and i cant seem to find one local dealership indicated that it is no longer available cant find a manufactures name on it like weatherpac or deutch dealer said google it or buy a harness any ideas thanks chuck

Junkyard is going to be one of your only bets now.

Since wiring melted, before you hook the fuse back in, check for continuity to ground from the positive wires at the seat controls to make sure it wont short again.

OP
OP
N

nautic76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
was hoping not having to replace the complete harness but with the lack of information about the connectors and that dodge indicates that the parts are not available i guess that i don't have much of a choice thanks for the insight going to start looking this week will keep you informed thanks again for the fast reply chuck

OP
OP
N

nautic76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
good morning have been looking for a replacement harness and my question is this is the underdash harness the same for gas and diesel or do they actually make a separate a harness for each seems that they would only make one with leads that are not used

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
good morning have been looking for a replacement harness and my question is this is the underdash harness the same for gas and diesel or do they actually make a separate a harness for each seems that they would only make one with leads that are not used

It depends on where it melted. From the seat to the main harness would be the same. But if there is damage on the adjacent harness, that may be engine specific, but after 10 minutes of looking through the service manual, I cant find any diagrams. In order to see what the adjacent harness is connected to and if it is gas or diesel dependent would require a substantial amount of time.

I would try to match it to your type and year. 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500 shouldn't matter too much. Year might, but only if its across a transition year.

OP
OP
N

nautic76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
the under dash harness that i am considering is out of a 2000 ram 1500 gas
your best guess usable as a complete harness? worst case is removing the connectors and splicing into original harness
thanks chuck

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
the under dash harness that i am considering is out of a 2000 ram 1500 gas
your best guess usable as a complete harness? worst case is removing the connectors and splicing into original harness
thanks chuck

If its the dash harness, it very well may be gas or diesel specific. The cummins have wait to start lights don't they?

You also have an additional computer, an ECU mounted to the block. I'm not sure if that changes the dash harness, but if you are willing to dink around and chance having to splice in good sections from the used harness to replace the damaged sections of the old one, go for it.

Chadewing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No starting

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 sc sb I bought this truck about a month ago and the ecu was bad got it replaced now it it starts then dies after like 3 seconds no tach is coming on oil pressure is fine volts got fuel pressure spark I'm a pretty well seasond mechanic and I'm stumped