Death wobble...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyboy23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im running 35 x 13.5 thornbirds and a 4 inch lift. i now have death wobble that started yesterday out of the blue.. I've literally replaced everything in the front end except the track bar, which doesn't seem that bad, and a fresh alignment this morning.. I just don't want to buy a new tract bar and still have this problem.. idk what it is at this point.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Some good reading...

https://kevinsoffroad.com/wp2/dodge-wobble-ram-death-wobble-causes-cures/

I'm lucky that I have never had this problem, but the entire front end, minus the steering box, was replaced in my truck prior to buying, including the track bar. I can run 90 MPH without even the slightest feeling of slop in the steering.

The problem seems to be worse with lifted vehicles. I reckon lift kits are to suspension what cam swaps are to engines; you don't get something for nothing and everything related to the upgrade needs to work together for overall smoothness. And any weakness in a system is likely to be made worse by changes that ignore said problem.

Last edited:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Upgrade your Trac bar with one from dodgeoffroad and get it aligned. I've learned a few things fighting death wobble. New wheel bearings, balljoints, tie rods, springs, shocks, control arms, and it still wobbled. New Trac bar/alignment and it was gone. Most common causes on 2nd Gen are Trac bar, tie rods, and control arm bushings but with a lift like yours I'd doubt you have stock control arms. I wish I could find a pic of my trac bar I took out.. btw, don't buy the BS on steering stabilizers. It will only dampen the problem until the stabilizer wears out

OP
OP
J

Johnnyboy23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I'll try a new tract bar, it just sucks after dropping a grand on everything else and it's fine, but out of nowhere without a bump or anything it'll happen. I have zero slop in the front end, column/ gear box all new.. inner and outers, blah blah blah.. of course it has to be the only thing left.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Trackbar would be the 2nd place I would look. Make sure that thing is also tight. 6 grunts and 2 farts is damn tight. It needs to be TIGHT!!

First place I would look is tires. Not sure what tires you have, never heard of them and haven't looked them up.. but tires if not strong enough will cause wobble by itself..

What air pressure and rating are these tires you have?

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Tires out of balance can start a death wobble and a bad alignment can make it wobble if you didn't get it aligned recently

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thornbirds ate necessarily what comes to mind when you think smooth riding either. Start with the track bar but tires is a good direction as well