death wobble/plus4wd-need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbrooks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've searched forums and searched to try to fix my truck......

So here I go, ill tell you my truck's history since day 1.

Truck is a 5.2 (318) 5spd single cab, 4x4 of course.

This is what the truck had on it when I bought it.
35" Super Swampers
Steel 16" wheels (Don't know what kind and how wide)
Skyjacker 3" lift
3" Body lift
Also came with a set of 285s (I think)

When I bought the truck I was told it needed to have alignment done a new seal for the front axle, but the guy told me I could drive it up the road just really quick, (this had the 35s on it at the time) so me and my brother drove it up the road everything went fine it had no death wobble. So I took it back and told the guy I wanted the truck, we loaded it up on the rollback and headed home. When I got it home I wanted to drive it up the road again just really quick and it still had no death wobble, after I got back to the house I parked it until I could get it to the shop. Well when I got it to the shop the guy looked at it and said the axle was bent and there was know reason to replace the seal even tho I done bought the seal, so now I was stuck having to buy a used axle from the pull a part, got the axle on new seals put in drove it up the road and that's when the death wobble started, still had the 35s on it same lift nothing changed. So then I was told to take off the 35s and put the 285s on (only if you could have seen what the truck looked like with 285's with a 3" body lift and 3" lift kit HAHA) but anyways I didnt want to get the truck alignment done till i bought new tires for it because you could tell it needed alignment done big time the front wheels was toed in so bad but the weird thing about that is with it being like that and with the 285s on it, It never did do the death wobble......

Now truck has.
305s
16x10 black rock steel wheels
3" Skyjacker lift

So later on down the road I had the money saved up to get new wheels, new tires, new tie rods, and new ball joints. At this time the 3" body lift is off, tires are now 305s, wheels are blackrock steel wheels 16" x10, all the ball joints are on but had to tac weld one to stay on because it kept wanting to pop out and also got the truck alignment done but they didnt put the new tie rods on even tho they said they needed them. But still has the death wobble thinking all of this would help this solve the problem.

So now I'm asking for some help from you all I've been without my truck for 5months now and I'm in need of it since i just wrecked my car a month ago and rolled it 3 times. Plus I'm having a kid coming in 4 weeks, so I really need my truck. Ive researched on forums and haven't really had any luck. If anybody can tell me what I need to get or explain to me what to do I would really appreciate it. Sorry for the long story but I figured I would explain it all since day 1.

Also would like some help on my 4wd. When I put my truck in 4wd it feels like something is in a bind, the front of the truck wants to sway back and worth, could this be because the death wobble?? Do I need something new?

Thank you.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
If you replaced all that stuff, I would suggest putting a steering stabilizer on the truck if its not already equipped with one. If its already equipped try changing it out for a new one. I would also strongly suggest you replace the ball joint that is welded in. That's not safe at all!

OP
OP
B

bbrooks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well on the ball joint, there was no other way to get it to stay in so we just put a tac weld on it, and we tried 2 different size. Plus I didnt want to have to replace my front axle again. I thought about replacing the steering stabilizer but didnt know what kind I should get or brand. What do you all think I should get a Dual since I have wide wheels and running 305s or go with a single.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
A single should work just fine but I would definitely go with the dual set-up.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
steering stabilizer and track bar will cause death wobble. iv gone through it on my ram as well lol i hated it

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When you replaced the front axle did you mess with the gears at all? Sounds like what my Durango does which had front axle swapped by someone who did not check to see what gear ratio was in the donor and my belief is the rear and the front don't match maybe it is the same for you.

$miley

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbrooks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bailey-
What dual setup would you recommened? I was looking at skyjacker but I dont know how good they are.

Jbmobbs-
I thought thats what the cause was but wasnt 100% sure. Ill probably do what bailey said to go with a dual steering stabilizer.

Smiley-

We checked the gears and they was the same gear ratio. But I do need to get a new gear for the rear, since the guy welded up the rear. What gear ratio would you all recommened for my truck. Runs good going about 60 but if you try to drive on the freeway it dont feel like its getting all the power.

Schwendy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
The littlest bit of play in any of the steering/suspension components can cause the death wobble. If its got any play , replace it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Steering stabilizer's a bandaid fix to cover up problems. If your truck needs tie rods as stated in your first post and they were't done, do them...and find a new shop. The you can put a stabilizer on. I run similar size tires on a 5 inch lift and run a single stabilizer.

You need to check your track bar. If its the factory style or original bar it's junk. You need some kind of good aftermarket bar for your lift and that's going to cost you. DOR, Sphon and DT make bars based on the 3rd gen design that take the punishment of a lifted truck with larger tires.

Last, check your hub bearings. I should assume that the shop that did your ball joints would've but based on the tie rod situation...check them. Lift each front tire off the ground, grab it at the top and bottom and wiggle them. Any kind of play is likely to be the bearing.

Last edited:

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Bailey-
What dual setup would you recommened? I was looking at skyjacker but I dont know how good they are.

Jbmobbs-
I thought thats what the cause was but wasnt 100% sure. Ill probably do what bailey said to go with a dual steering stabilizer.

Smiley-

We checked the gears and they was the same gear ratio. But I do need to get a new gear for the rear, since the guy welded up the rear. What gear ratio would you all recommened for my truck. Runs good going about 60 but if you try to drive on the freeway it dont feel like its getting all the power.

If you want to go with Skyjacker, go for it. They make a really good product. The Skyjacker part number your looking for is 7217. I hope this solves your problem....... but as some of the guys have suggested. Get up under the front of your truck and check all the steering and suspension components for any play, before you buy the stabilizer.