Dodge noob and new car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luigi38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys,

My other cars have been Nissan's and this is my first American made car and my first Dodge truck: 1999 1500 Ram 5.9 4x4 quad cab 167K miles. I purchased this guy about 2 weeks ago at an auction for about $1K and I already put a good $200-400 on parts and fluids, to give some background I think the car has been sitting for a year or maybe two.
The good news is that the engine sounds strong and does not have any weird noises, and the transmission is shifting just fine.

There are a few problems that I would like your input.

Transmission fluid leaking from the front passenger side of the vehicle, I can see that the fluid seems to be coming from the steel lines into the radiator or trans cooler (not sure if this car has a Trans cooler from factory). Any input on diagnosing the leak and getting discounted mopar parts? else I just get them from a local auto part stores.

Transmission or differential humming noise when the car is being driven. The sound gets louder when the Rpms get higher and the noise is reduced then I let go on the gas - meaning when it's cruising.
I checked the trans fluid and it is ok, I haven't checked the differentials fluid levels yet.

YouTube video:
1999 dodge humming noise - YouTube

Can you tell me if the vehicle has been lifted? It seems to me that it has been lifted maybe 2" off the ground. I would like to asses the steering and suspension parts.

pics below

Thanks in advanced.

What I already have done to the car:
new battery
new radiator
front and rear oxygen sensors
oil change
air filter

I plan on doing the following:
Transmission fluid: get a bigger transmission pan / flat paper filter / round filter / change trans fluid with Valvoline ATF+4.
Differential fluids: Change differential fluids
Question: do you change the transfer case fluid separate from the transmission from the trans pan, or is the trans and the transfer case interconnected.
Brakes: Change rear drums / shoes, front pads, and all brake lines
Steering fluid: change the steering fluid

Attachments

• IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 36

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome!!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi guys,

My other cars have been Nissan's and this is my first American made car and my first Dodge truck: 1999 1500 Ram 5.9 4x4 quad cab 167K miles. I purchased this guy about 2 weeks ago at an auction for about $1K and I already put a good $200-400 on parts and fluids, to give some background I think the car has been sitting for a year or maybe two.
The good news is that the engine sounds strong and does not have any weird noises, and the transmission is shifting just fine.

There are a few problems that I would like your input.

Transmission fluid leaking from the front passenger side of the vehicle, I can see that the fluid seems to be coming from the steel lines into the radiator or trans cooler (not sure if this car has a Trans cooler from factory). Any input on diagnosing the leak and getting discounted mopar parts? else I just get them from a local auto part stores.

Transmission or differential humming noise when the car is being driven. The sound gets louder when the Rpms get higher and the noise is reduced then I let go on the gas - meaning when it's cruising.
I checked the trans fluid and it is ok, I haven't checked the differentials fluid levels yet.

YouTube video:
1999 dodge humming noise - YouTube

Can you tell me if the vehicle has been lifted? It seems to me that it has been lifted maybe 2" off the ground. I would like to asses the steering and suspension parts.

pics below

Thanks in advanced.

What I already have done to the car:
new battery
new radiator
front and rear oxygen sensors
oil change
air filter

I plan on doing the following:
Transmission fluid: get a bigger transmission pan / flat paper filter / round filter / change trans fluid with Valvoline ATF+4.
Differential fluids: Change differential fluids
Question: do you change the transfer case fluid separate from the transmission from the trans pan, or is the trans and the transfer case interconnected.
Brakes: Change rear drums / shoes, front pads, and all brake lines
Steering fluid: change the steering fluid

Welcome! :shake:

Sharp lookin truck ya got there, 1000 bucks is a steal!

1. Sounds like a transmission cooler line leaking, get that fixed asap.

2. That could be a lot of things. Where is it coming from any idea? Are you in a winter area? Could be alternator whining from the cold, mine does that haha.

3. Looks like a leveling kit in the front. Look in the wheel well, at the coil spring, is there a puck type deal at the top? If so leveling kit. It does look a little taller then stock.

Great list youve done so far. Head over to the engines and performance section and check out the sticked plenum thread and read that. You should definitely look into that. Rest of your plans look solid. No the x-case is not connected to the trans and will need to be filled separately IIRC. Use ATF+4 for the trans and x-case.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Welcome, the trans cooler is between the radiator and a/c condenser. There 2 lines that run up to it. Mine started leaking and was hella expensive from the dealer. Went to NAPA and got a heavy duty trans cooler and mounted it to the condenser. Had to pic up a couple of double sided barbed fittings to connect the factory hoses to the hoses in the trans cooler kit. No the transmission and T-Case aren't connected. There are 2 allan head plugs on the back next to the drive shaft. Lower one is to drain and upper one is to fill. It takes ATF +4 as well.

OP
OP
L

luigi38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks guys.

If I want to go the cheap way, should I replace just the lines or is it know for the trans cooler's couplings to go bad. IN that case I would look for an aftermarket trans cooler.

iSlacker816-Did you remove the original trans cooler? left it there unplugged?
or hooked the aftermarket in line with the original trans cooler?
DO you know if there is a write-up for a trans-cooler add-on, I will search too and thx for the info.

This sounds like it's coming from the middle of the truck, like a differential, transfer case, or shafts...this crap worries me.

cool, Ima check it out and see if it has a leveling kit.
Do you guys know any suspension parts that usually go bad on these trucks that I should start looking into.

I live in VA, so not that cold.

I also plan on taking "Rusty" to West VA to go skiing, so I'm trying to get it road ready in about 2 weeks...

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard man. Good luck getting the truck squared away