Dually Drivability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudding2

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/a
Engine
Cummins
Hey everyone! I currently own a 96 Ford f250 but am looking to buy a ram - second gen. I've always liked the looks of the ram and know my family has never had too big of problems with them. So I've been looking and found a beautiful ram 3500 dually with a cummins and really want to bite but.... I see a couple issues personally with it.

-I've always loved the look of duallys but I don't want to not be able to fit in parking spots or toll booths etc.

-I don't tow all that often, I tow a medium size boat every once and a while and my medium camper during summer but this would mainly be a daily for me.

-I've heard from friends that ram dually fenders are huge and again don't want to be incredibly restricted from places.

So basically I thought I'd ask the experts - is a dually OK for a daily even with the large size and limited towing, or should I just abandon the thought and keep looking ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Duallys rear wheels are about as wide as the towing mirrors. If your concerned about being inconvenienced with parking and driving the truck in tight spaces, keep looking elsewhere.
Another overlooked thing with duallys especially with the Cummins up front, if you live where you get snow, it better have 4X4.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Honestly i wouldn't own a dually unless i wanted a dedicated tow pig. Only available with a long bed and they don't turn very well unless you get a regular cab because of that. It's just a lot of hassle that gets a annoying after a while