Engine temperature gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steevensi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
Hi Guys

I just noticed by the engine temperature gauge needle moves a lot.
It never reached the high end of the scale though.

It happens when I accelerate. It goes from below the middle point to maybe 3/4 of the range.

It might sound like a stupid question, but I'm pretty sure that in all the other vehicules I had in the past, that gauge was a more a dummy gauge than anything else. It would go up to a certain location and stay there until I turn off the engine.

So my question is , is it normal that it moves like that?

Cheers

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
im pretty sure youre looking at the analog oil PRESSURE gauge. lol.

top left = fuel gauge
top right = coolant temp (or engine temp)
bottom left = battery meter
bottom right = oil pressure.

pretty sure thats the layout on my truck, i dunno. i just jumped out the damn thing, and cant remember hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
im pretty sure youre looking at the analog oil PRESSURE gauge. lol.

top left = fuel gauge
top right = coolant temp (or engine temp)
bottom left = battery meter
bottom right = oil pressure.

pretty sure thats the layout on my truck, i dunno. i just jumped out the damn thing, and cant remember hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No, you are in the 2nd gen area. Our layout is completely different than yours

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Hi Guys

I just noticed by the engine temperature gauge needle moves a lot.
It never reached the high end of the scale though.

It happens when I accelerate. It goes from below the middle point to maybe 3/4 of the range.

It might sound like a stupid question, but I'm pretty sure that in all the other vehicules I had in the past, that gauge was a more a dummy gauge than anything else. It would go up to a certain location and stay there until I turn off the engine.

So my question is , is it normal that it moves like that?

Cheers

In short, no, its not normal. It should stop at just at or around 190. It shouldn't move hardly at all over normal driving unless your radiator is blocked (internally or externally), the fan clutch isn't working properly or the water pump isn't working.

The only times the temp gauge should move away from 190ish is in the ultra cold, i'm talking minnesota or upper Michigan winters then it may run cold, or if you're towing a few tons of weight, then it will run hotter around 200-210.

I'd start with starting the engine and getting it warmed up and waiting for the gauge to settle. Then from the engine bay watch the fan and carefully feel the upper radiator hose, it should be pretty hot and the fan should be spinning pretty quick. Then rev the engine to a couple grand either by having someone hit the pedal or grab the throttle valve manually from the engine bay. The fan should spin up and move a crap ton of air then possibly settle down a bit.

If the rad hose is cold or lukewarm after all this it's time to drain the coolant and see what it looks like, you may be looking at a clogged radiator or a waterpump thats failing.

If the fan isn't spinning or its spinning slowly, thats bad. But if it never picks up speed and starts moving a crap ton of air when you rev the engine, thats bad too.