Finally modding!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As some of you know, I went to the salvage yard today to pick up a throttle body to cut and make a 50mm and an air hat.

Here is my bounty before cleaning:

100_6464_zps787f42c1.jpg

100_6465_zpsfd782d06.jpg

100_6466_zps8f74e9a2.jpg

That is quite likely the dirtiest TB I've ever seen. Considering how hard it was to take apart I don't think it has ever been serviced in its life. Which brings me to this gem:

100_6467_zps4485cdab.jpg

Freaking screw sheared off.

Almost flush at that
100_6468_zpsa8a553cb.jpg

Other side
100_6469_zps2c671bac.jpg

It's clean tho. :D
100_6471_zps1a16143a.jpg

So, seeing what you see here...I have two options: I can either attempt to remove it either by slotting it or drilling it out thereby risking the butterfly shaft in the process. Or I just attempt to hone out the bore with the butterfly still in....which I have heard of people doing.

What say you?

Also, air hat after having been cleaned:
100_6472_zps882b43f1.jpg

Thinking about cutting those little flat pieces out and honing that round part down for more air. What say you?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how much was the throttle body? might be best to just drill the broken screw out. with a small dill bit. should eventually come out.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
50 bucks.....lol Too much but I know all the yards around here charge too much.

I'm thinking a small drill bit as well...hollow it out and pull it out.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
wow. that is a lot. for $100 you could get a 50mm throttle body that has already been modded.

if your lucky the heat created from drilling will cause the bolt to come out with the drill bit.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I say go for it with the screw, just drill it out. If it were me I'd leave the hat.:popcorn:

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
wow. that is a lot. for $100 you could get a 50mm throttle body that has already been modded.

if your lucky the heat created from drilling will cause the bolt to come out with the drill bit.
Still cheaper. lol
Possible. I don't know what screws Dodge used...obviously not very strong. :Rant:
I say go for it with the screw, just drill it out. If it were me I'd leave the hat.:popcorn:

I'm leaning that way as well. My luck the damn thing will rattle loose and end up in my engine. :Grenade:

Leave the hat as in don't cut on it? lol

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You're definitely ahead of me on this little project, I haven't even began to even clean the tb I grabbed last weekend. As far as removal of the screw, I'd try the tiny drill bit and see if that does the trick. I'd probably leave the airhat as is. BTW I almost grabbed an airhat when I grabbed my tb also. May go back and grab one. Thinking I may go back anyway and grab another intake to play with too. Good luck on getting that little booger out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe I'll get to Lowes tomorrow to pick up a new bit and the tube I'll use for my intake. Plan was to get the intake mostly setup first anyway.

Thanks for the well wishes! Hope we both have good luck with our TBs. :D

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Still cheaper. lol
Possible. I don't know what screws Dodge used...obviously not very strong. :Rant:
you think it is cheaper now. lol. it is only cheaper if you actually complete the mod. did you clean things before you tried taking the bolts out? i am learning what not to do to my spare throttle body from you.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
you think it is cheaper now. lol. it is only cheaper if you actually complete the mod. did you clean things before you tried taking the bolts out? i am learning what not to do to my spare throttle body from you.

Nope. Didn't do it on my personal TB and I'm thinking that's the reason it sheared.

Live and learn.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You guys don't have a wrench a part out east? Was able to get mine here in central tejas at one for half what they stole from you...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Leave the hat as in don't cut on it? lol

Yeah, meant leave it alone. I can't see those pieces effecting the airflow too much, probably not worth the effort and might even make it weaker in the process. (2¢)

I always liked pulling things out of the junkyard and putting them to work again.

Last edited:

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe I'll get to Lowes tomorrow to pick up a new bit and the tube I'll use for my intake. Plan was to get the intake mostly setup first anyway.

Thanks for the well wishes! Hope we both have good luck with our TBs. :D

That's the same idea I have. That's why I think I'm going to get another intake. That way when I swap the timing set, I can just drop in the Intake with the updated plenum gasket and the modded tb without having too much downtime.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You guys don't have a wrench a part out east? Was able to get mine here in central tejas at one for half what they stole from you...

From what I just googled, nope. There aren't many yards out this way. And even less have Dodge. :nono:
Yeah, meant leave it alone. I can't see those pieces effecting the airflow too much, probably not worth the effort and might even make it weaker in the process. (2¢)

I always liked pulling things out of the junkyard and putting them to work again.
I gotcha. I'll see how it goes to start out with. Might get bored later and do it anyway. :burnout:
That's the same idea I have. That's why I think I'm going to get another intake. That way when I swap the timing set, I can just drop in the Intake with the updated plenum gasket and the modded tb without having too much downtime.

Back when I needed my plenum to be done, I was gonna get a kegger and TB and was going to mod both of them, put the plate on it, then take it to the shop to have it all installed.

nah, never happened. lol

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
cleaning thing could have made a huge difference.

In hindsight, you're probably right. However I have to wonder since all the screws on the sensors and what not were not caked with crap and they were still a pain to break loose. I honestly think most of it is because it had never been serviced.

Oh and the truck I pulled this off of had a majorly blown plenum. lol

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sucks you don't... I can find dang near anything locally at the wrench a part, well except for a solid dash bezel... Lol... I may have to start cleaning up my tb tomorrow though now that you've started... Or maybe I should wait to see if you get that darn screw out.. Lol

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
but the bolt threads on the sensors are not exposed to crap build up
True. I guess I was expecting it to behave the same way as mine except mine was clean as a whistle compared to this thing. :Grenade:
Sucks you don't... I can find dang near anything locally at the wrench a part, well except for a solid dash bezel... Lol... I may have to start cleaning up my tb tomorrow though now that you've started... Or maybe I should wait to see if you get that darn screw out.. Lol

Lucky. :p

You should. At least clean it anyway. lol I got extra sensors now though. lol

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I may just do that. Need to spend some time on my bumper cover to try to get it finished first. It needs to go back on the truck soon. Again good luck on the screw and keep us posted on how you get it out.